Movie Review: Hunter Games: The Ballad of Songbird and Snakes

Alyssa Vu
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is released exclusively in theaters on November 17

After nearly a decade, Lionsgate revived the sensational “Hunger Games” franchise with its latest release. “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” premiered in theaters on Nov. 17, rivaling Marvel’s new movie “The Marvels.”  

The movie made $98 million globally on opening weekend, beating “The Marvels” by around $30 million. This box office victory heralded the triumphant return of one of the highest-grossing and most beloved film series. 

The wildly successful film is based off of the novel by Suzanne Collins and is a prequel to the original trilogy. The iconic series is set in the country of Panem and follows Katniss Everdeen through her experience in the Hunger Games. Ultimately, Katniss leads a revolution against the despotic government and fights for the downfall of the Games.

About the Story

“Songbirds and Snakes” is set sixty-four years before the events of “The Hunger Games” and follows a teenage Coriolanus Snow. The movie shows Snow years before he becomes the tyrannical president of Panem. Although the Snows were once a powerful and prestigious family, they are now struggling under both financial and social problems. 

In order to save his family, Coriolanus is forced to become a mentor in the 10th Annual Hunger Games. The tribute he gets is Lucy Gray Baird (Rachel Zegler), the female tribute from the impoverished District 12. 

Fortunately, Baird captivates Panem with her charm and talent for singing. Snow capitalizes on Baird’s talents and goes to great lengths to ensure Lucy Gray’s victory. Despite his misfortunes, Snow is able to force the odds into both his and Lucy Gray’s favor. 

However, Snow’s shady methods of winning gets him caught and exiled to the Districts, where he serves as a lowly policeman. Only his blossoming romance with Baird (and hope to return to the Capitol) gives him enough strength and sanity to keep fighting. However, Snow’s contentment is short-lived as a series of tragedies forces him into an internal battle of good versus evil.

Why watch?

The movie is overall fast-paced. This visually stunning addition to one of the most popular series is a worthy watch for fans of “The Hunger Games”. Despite the movie’s long runtime, its engaging plot and star-powered cast make the film both enjoyable and interesting. 

Furthermore, Collins’ writing and screenwriting abilities shine through, making the film both close to the book and incredibly well made. The dystopian action movie, “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is now released exclusively in theaters.

Regal Cinemas displays the movie’s poster on opening weekend. (Alyssa Vu)