Movie Review: Lisa Frankenstein, a murderous journey to find love, happiness, and missing body parts

Edwin He
Lisa Frankenstein follows a misunderstood teenager and a newly reawaken corpse in a journey for love.

Lisa Frankenstein debuted on Feb. 9th exclusively to theaters. This horror/comedy movie follows the titular character, Lisa Frankenstein (Kathyrn Newton), as she embarks on an adventure to repair a reanimated corpse, and possibly find love along the way. 

The film grossed $3.8 million on its opening weekend, slightly behind the projected $4-6 million. Lisa Frankenstein sits at a Rotten Tomato score of 51% with a drastically higher audience score of 82%. 

About the Movie

The story centers on Lisa Frankenstein, a misunderstood teenager. She moved into a new town after her father married her stepmother and is having a hard time adjusting. An outcast at school, Lisa only finds comfort through her visits to the cemetery and conversations with gravestones. 

Lisa is constantly berated at home by her stepmother, Janet (Carla Gugino). Despite her stepsister’s—Taffy (Liza Soberano)— best efforts to help her fit in, Lisa feels trapped in her new life. However, Lisa will be saved from her situation after a supernatural occurrence.

During a violent storm, lightning strikes the cemetery and awakens a corpse (Cole Sprouse), one that Lisa had professed her love to earlier in the cemetery. The corpse seeks Lisa and barges into her home while she is home alone. The two decide to embark on a quest to find the necessary body parts to repair the corpse. 

Why “Lisa Frankenstein”

Lisa Frankenstein is a fun movie to watch. A viewer can marvel at Lisa’s wacky journey, which only becomes more absurd as the movie progresses. The movie clashes dark, horrific moments with comedic, ridiculous situations, establishing a unique feel to the film. 

However, the movie isn’t perfect. Some plotlines are never fully explored, leading to awkward pacing in which certain parts feel like there is no progression. The movie also struggles to provide a cohesive experience as the main character Lisa’s motivations fluctuate scene to scene. 

Despite its flaws, Lisa Frankenstein is still an enjoyable watch that brings the viewer on a one-of-kind journey. The movie is playing exclusively in theaters such as Cinemark Century in Union and Redwood City. It will start streaming in Peacock on Feb. 27th before moving to Amazon Prime Video after four months.