Movie Review: Arther the King, a riveting tale of redemption and courage

Ashlynn Suh
Arthur the King is filmed based on Mikael Lindnord’s true experience with his canine companion.

On March 15, 2024, Lionsgate released Arthur the King in theaters in the US and Canada. Grossing $7.6 million on its opening weekend and $9.8 million worldwide, Arthur the King displays the bond between man and canine through a true story. 

The film is based on Mikael Lindnord’s Adventure Racing experience in which he composed his memoir Arthur- The Dog Who Crossed the Jungle to Find a Home in 2016. The film lands into the drama and adventure category receiving 67% in rotten tomatoes. However, it also acquired a significantly high audience score of 97%. 

Furthermore, reviews emphasize the usage of a dog to tug at the audience’s heartstrings and what it means to win as a team. They see these factors as what gives the movie a satisfactory feeling.

The Story 

Arthur the King is a miraculous true story about Mikael Lindnord befriending a canine companion during the most important race of his life. Mikael Lindnord, portrayed by Mark Walhberg, is a Swedish Adventure Racer who spent nineteen years racing for gold. Unfortunately, one race caused him to blow his chances of winning as he blew up on his team. Retiring from racing for a couple years, he worked miserably for his dad as a realtor. 

Instead of living the rest of his life as a no-good realtor, Mikael wants to make a name for himself. He goes back into Adventure Racing. After many obstacles, Lindnord creates his team and gains a sponsor to fund their preparations. With this new team and funds, they head out for Ecuador to train before the five-day race. 

The race begins and harsh conditions hit them instantly. The team (BroadRail) makes it to a transition zone, or a rest stop, where they finally meet stray Arthur. Feeling compassion towards the dog in poor condition, Mikael offers him some of his meatballs. Continuing the race for gold, BroadRail is able to cut distance and time using shortcuts through the forests. Although using  shorter distances they face challenges more often than their peers. For instance,  rock climbing with their bikes and malfunctions with their ziplining gear. Hours and a hundred plus miles further, the team reunites with Arthur. Though skeptical of keeping the dog, Arthur saves Leo, the popular social media influencer, from walking off a cliff. Thus, he allows the dog to stay.

Running in first place, the team makes it to the last challenge, paddling. However Lindnord is distraught with a decision of winning or taking Arthur with them to the finish. Mikael makes the heartbreaking decision to leave Arthur, however this does not last long as Arthur runs after their kayak.

Crossing the finish line BroadRail becomes second place. In very poor condition, Arthur is sent to the vet where they tell Lindnord of his low chances of survival. The movie progresses with Arthur fighting for survival and Mikael fighting to stay right by his companion. 

Why Watch?

Arthur the King is truly an incredible and heartfelt story about the bond between man and dog. The film is exciting, dramatic, and filled with heartwarming comedy, a combination that appeals to a majority. Some popular stars in this film are Mark Wahlberg, Simu Liu, Bear Grylls, and Nathalie Emmanuel who bring this true story to life with impressive acting and action. Dog lovers will especially enjoy and connect to the film as the dog’s acting is up to par with his costars. 

With the film’s efficient use of plot twists, it is able to reveal true emotion from its audience whether sorrow or joy. The film was entertaining and unfamiliar as it is quite different from the movies created today, yet still pleasant to watch. 

For those who love a good emotional drama and adventure film Arthur the King is playing in theaters and will soon be released on the streaming platform Peacock.