Netflix Movie Review: Damsel, an unpredictable story of fantasy

Alyssa Vu
After months of delays, Damsel finally released to streaming on Netflix on March 8.

Netflix’s latest Original Film, Damsel made its highly anticipated streaming debut on March 8. The film captivates audiences with its imaginative twist on the classic “damsel-in-distress” trope, set in a dark fantasy world.

Originally slated for release on Oct. 13, 2023. Damsel faced a setback in promotion due to the SAG-AFTRA strike. However, this worked in the movie’s favor, heightened anticipation among eager viewers. Consequently, when the film finally premiered, Netflix reported an impressive viewership of 35.3 million in the first three days. This secured Damsel‘s number one spot in seventy-nine countries. 

While the film garnered widespread attention, critical reception has been somewhat mixed. Despite this, its unique narrative and stunning visuals have managed to leave a lasting impression on audiences worldwide.

About the Story

Set in the kingdom of Aurea, the story follows the journey of protagonist Elodie, who receives a marriage proposal from the royal family. Motivated by a desire to assist her impoverished people, Elodie accepts the proposal against the warnings of her stepmother. Her stepmother, Lady Bayford, begs her to reconsider as she senses something amiss within the royal household. 

After the wedding, Elodie is taken to Aurea’s mountains where the royal family attempts to sacrifice her to a dragon. From this, she unearths the history of this centuries-old ritual and must fight for her life and expose the royal family’s evil secrets.

Why Watch?

Damsel boasts a visually stunning presentation with its believable CGI, meticulously crafted sets, and intricate costuming. While the plot may lack some depth, the film compensates with exhilarating action sequences that keep viewers engaged throughout.

Overall, the movie offers audiences a captivating cinematic experience, blending fantasy elements with compelling storytelling. Despite certain flaws, the film remains a highly enjoyable watch from start to finish.