Movie Review: The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare offers a classic “popcorn movie”

Ian Cha
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare released in theaters on April 18th, 2024.

On April 18th, Lionsgate released their latest historical action movie, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Based on a true story, the film tells the thrilling story of a WWII-era special forces mission.

Opening alongside Abigail and Civil War, the $60 million film is projected to earn $5-8 million in its opening weekend. It received a 92% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, and viewers praised it for its action, comedy, and cast.

The Story

The film centers around a group of British commandos led by Gus March-Phillips (Henry Cavill). Their mission: cut off supply lines to Nazi U-Boats prowling the Atlantic Ocean. 

To do this, March-Phillips builds a team of deadly, roguish, and unpredictable soldiers. The cast includes second-in-command Geoffrey Appleyard (Alex Pettyfer) and Danish war hero Anders Lassen (Alan Ritchson). Together, the five-man force use their unconventional tactics to outsmart and overpower the Nazis.

Exciting Action, but Little Plot

Throughout The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, viewers are constantly treated to fast-paced action that balances thrill with comedy. The film does not take itself too seriously, and this is key to its fun and exciting action sequences.

However, the movie’s story is fairly barebones. There is not much character development and overall lack of significant themes that catches the audience’s eyes. To be fair, the movie’s main draw is its rollicking action and gunfights, of which there are plenty.

Based on a True Story

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is based on the real-life Operation Postmaster. However, the film takes several creative liberties.

For instance, the real-life mission was nowhere near as violent as it was portrayed. In the film, March-Phillips and his crew mow down waves of Nazis while capturing supply ships. Anders Lassen even wields a bow and arrow, which he was known to be skilled with in real life.

This makes for thrilling action scenes, but in reality, the mission was much more covert, encountering very few soldiers during the entire mission. In fact, the operation likely took less than thirty minutes.

Final Verdict

Overall, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is a fun movie with exciting characters and action, but little to offer in terms of story. In other words, a classic “popcorn movie.”