Movie Review: “Dune: Part Two” leaves audiences in anticipation

Ryan Dawson
Sequel to the sci-fi movie starring Timothee Chalamet, “Dune: Part Two” premiered in theaters worldwide on March 1st.

On March 1st, Dune: Part Two premiered in theaters worldwide as a continuation of the sci-fi saga that intrigued viewers due to the stunning visuals, intricate world-building, and compelling characters. Picking up where the first movie left off, the film delves deeper into the world created by Frank Herbert in the novel.

The Story

Set in the distant future on the desert planet of Arrakis, Dune: Part Two follows Paul Atreides (Timothee Chalamet) as he finds his place as a leader and prominent figure among the Fremen people known as a holy figure, Muad’Dib. He becomes a symbol of hope and resistance, inspiring his followers to fight for their homeland Arrakis.

As his legend spreads across the galaxy, Paul Atreides struggles with the weight of his destiny and the haunting visions of the future. He navigates the political landscape while learning the ways of the land, grappling with his family legacy, finding new powers, and facing the corrupt Harkonnen Empire. 

Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca Reguson, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgard, Dave Bautista, and Zendaya reprised their roles from the first film with Florence Pugh, Austin Butler, and Christopher Walken joining the star-studded cast. 

Pros and Cons

With stunning visuals and effects, Dune: Part Two transports viewers to a universe filled with endless sand dunes, ancient cities, and futuristic technology. The breathtaking cinematography with Hans Zimmer’s creative score creates an immersive experience that captures the audience’s attention from start to finish.

The ensemble cast delivers outstanding performances. As a fierce and independent warrior, Chani (Zendaya) delivers a memorable performance with much more screen time than the first movie. Javier Bardem also sparked emotion in the audience with his character Stilgar, the leader of the Fremen tribe.

Themes such as power, faith, destiny, and colonialism are explored throughout the movie. Vileneuve navigates these topics while excellently building the world.

However, the film can be slow-paced at times, and can be difficult to grasp the intricate plot. Nevertheless, the action and emotion still made it an interesting watch.

Verdict

Dune: Part Two offers a thought-provoking and visual exploration of a complex universe. With the talented cast and exceptional storytelling, the film is worth watching, though it may leave you in anticipation for the next installment.