Avatar: The Last Airbender (2024 TV series)

Alyssa Vu
After five years, Netflix released its second live action adaptation of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” on Feb. 22.

On Feb. 22, Netflix released a live-action adaptation of Nickelodeon’s beloved series Avatar: The Last Airbender. After five years of production, the release was much anticipated. However, the series generated a mixed reception, given the challenges of transitioning from animation to live action. 

The 2024 series is not film studios’ first time attempting to create a live-action version of Avatar. Previous attempts at a live-action rendition failed spectacularly, making audiences apprehensive about Netflix’s promise to stay true to the original. While the casting, costuming, and sets appeared to be a very literal translation from the cartoon, concerns from fans arose when the original writers departed from the project.

Fortunately, the lack of involvement from the original creators did not compromise the show. While acknowledging some inevitable changes in the transition, the plot remains largely faithful to the beloved animated series. 

About the Story

The series is set in a war-torn world inspired by diverse Asian and Indigenous cultures. In this fictitious world, individuals can manipulate, or “bend,” the classical elements of earth, wind, fire and air. The most powerful bender is the Avatar, master of all four elements and the person responsible for maintaining world peace.

The Last Airbender follows Aang, a master of airbending and the last of his kind. After disappearing for decades, he eventually resurfaces to find the world as he knew it in shambles. The militant Fire Nation had disrupted the world’s harmony, insistent on complete domination.

Aang is faced with the incredible responsibility of stopping the Fire Nation before they completely destroy the rest of the world. Along with a ragtag team of friends, Aang sets off on a journey to master the four elements and restore balance to the world.

Why Watch?

Tailored for a more mature audience, the live-action adaptation includes depictions of gore as well as a grim atmosphere not present in the original series. First time watchers are advised to watch the original series beforehand. Despite the two shows’ equal run time, the live-action version sacrifices several plot points for exposition. This resulted in a somewhat awkward execution compared to the original series. 

Nevertheless, the show remains compelling due to its accurate casting and intricate world-building. Avatar: The Last Airbender is exclusively available for streaming on Netflix.