Movie Review: Priscilla: A journey of self-discovery, love, and unforgettable advantures

Alyssa Vu
Coppola portrays Elvis’ and Priscilla’s 1973 wedding.

The highly-anticipated historical drama “Priscilla” was released in theaters to U.S. audiences on Nov. 3. The movie is based on the 1985 memoir “Elvis and Me,” written by Priscilla Presley. It chronicles Presley’s early life through her relationship with American rock-’n-roll icon Elvis Presley.

Priscilla Presley herself was in attendance for the film’s premiere at the 80th Venice International Film Festival and claims that Copolla’s depiction of her life and relationship with Presley is “right on.” Despite Priscilla’s approval, Copolla has received backlash for the negative way in which she depicted Elvis’s character. Among those who disapproved was Lisa Marie Presley, Elvis and Priscilla’s daughter.

Despite this, the film was generally well-received by critics and performed well in the box office, grossing over $12 million domestically in just two weeks. The movie is one hour and fifty minutes long. It offers a detailed dive into one of America’s most famous couples.

About the Story

“Priscilla” opens in 1959 with naive 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu living in Bad Nauheim, Germany, where her father is stationed. She meets 28-year-old Elvis Presley at a party on the military base and the two begin dating despite apprehension from Beaulieu’s parents because of Presley’s age and level of fame. Eventually, Elvis returns to the U.S., leaving a heartbroken Priscilla behind.

A couple years later, Elvis reaches out to Priscilla again, and the pair rekindle their romance. Elvis eventually moves Priscilla from Germany into his Graceland home in Memphis, TN where the teenager finishes high school. The movie takes the audience through the further development of their relationship, which culminates in their marriage. 

However, the Presleys’ happiness is short-lived as highly-publicized rumors of Elvis’ alleged affairs, growing music career, and substance abuse takes an increasingly negative toll on their relationship. Eventually, the two divorce.

Why See Priscilla?

Coppola offers a unique perspective to one of the most famous relationships in popular culture. The film is accurate by how Priscilla Presley herself remembers her life, with most of the dialogue being extracted from Presley’s memoir.

Coppola explores themes such as manipulation, isolation, abuse, and the dark side of Hollywood’s relationships. The film is rated for mature audiences for its representation of drug use as well as some language. “Priscilla” is in theaters and is expected to hit streaming services in early 2024.