An ascent to new heights: Aayush Gupta (’24) leaves behind an engineering legacy

Lauren Tran
Aayush Gupta (’24) works on debugging with his teammate at an UAV meeting.

As the President of the Amador Valley Unmanned Aerial Vehicles club and a member of the AVBotz team, Aayush Gupta (‘24) is no stranger to the field of engineering. 

Discovering both clubs in his freshman year, Gupta was captivated by mechanical engineering and has continued to build on this passion ever since.

“I was interested in robotics and trying to find something to do my freshman year. A friend recommended I join, and I thought it was cool. I eventually fell in love with it,” said Gupta.

Gupta has always felt a spark for designing and building projects and a deep fondness for engineering. He was determined to follow his heart. Now, his accomplishments speak for themselves.

The Journey

Over the years, Gupta and his team have found success in the competitive field and reached new heights. In 2021, the UAV team won second place at the annual Student Unmanned Aerial Systems Competition. In 2022 and 2023, AVBotz secured a top-five finish at the RoboSub competition.

“I went to SUAS two years ago in Maryland. That’s a pretty big competition, and we had to complete a series of tasks to simulate what would happen in reality. We also placed in the RoboSub competition against some of the best AUV teams across the country,” said Gupta.

The journey was not always easy. Gupta sacrificed countless hours to reach his goals. From late-night revision and testing sessions to attending numerous meetings, Gupta displayed an unmatched commitment to his craft.

“I spend almost three hours a day [for UAV and AVBotz] and more when it’s closer to competitions. Sophomore year, I did a lot of work for UAVs; I designed probably the entire bottom half of the drone. For bots, I designed the frame for our new sub,” said Gupta.

As president of the UAV, Gupta mentors each team to ensure they complete their part in their section. He prioritizes learning as the main goal and hopes to facilitate a supportive educational environment.

“I’m mainly trying to supervise everyone else and make sure that they’re getting tested on time. I like to think of UAVs more as a learning place. The competition is not our main goal; it’s mainly to make sure everyone else learns throughout the year,” said Gupta.

The Path Ahead

After indecision on his profession for a few years, Gupta committed to a career in mechanical engineering. His involvement in UAV and AVBotz helped to solidify his career choice. 

“I’ve always wanted to go into engineering, but I didn’t know what type of engineering. I was kind of debating between mechanical and civil and electrical. Seeing mechanical engineering here sealed the deal that this is the kind of engineering I like,” said Gupta.

Gupta has faith that his experiences in UAV and AVBotz will help him in college and establish a solid foundation for his future career.

“I hope to get a doctorate in mechanical engineering, so hopefully down the years I will be able to use my past experience to get me there,” said Gupta

Though this is Gupta’s last year in UAV and AVBotz, he hopes that his guidance and lessons will continue to remain strong at Amador. Going out on a high note, he certainly leaves the clubs with a legacy to carry.

“I hope the younger members are able to learn a lot and be able to carry on that kind of legacy, so I kind of try to educate our younger members to help them succeed,” said Gupta.