How is graduation going to look?

Imogen Rogers, Junior Editor

Graduation is May 28th, 2021 at 7:00pm. This is what it will look like.

“We have to limit the amount of spectators in order to maintain distancing and capacity guidelines set forth by the health department. We will not have live performances with the exception of the National Anthem,” said principal Josh Butterfield.

Differences in graduation are due to the COVID-19 pandemic are only a continuation of differences in the 2020-21 school year.

“There are still some days when I don’t feel like I’m actually graduating and leaving, but at the end of the day, my senior year isn’t characterized by the number of football games I go to or what events are held–it’s something I’ll remember because of the people I got to know,” said Dalynn Miller (‘21).

This year has been a unique one for the planning process.

“There are a number of staff members that have worked incredibly hard to put this event together.  Guidance and approval to hold in person ceremonies came very late in the spring this year.  In a typical year, we begin planning graduation in December, so it has been difficult to put together the ceremony in a short time frame,” said Butterfield.

Students are grateful that the ceremony is underway at all. This year has taught all of Amador a variety of life lessons beyond what is typically taken from high school.

“This year has taught me the importance of not waiting on doing what you want. Life changes really, really quickly, and I think we all owe it to ourselves to try being the most authentic versions of ourselves possible,” said Miller.

Thankfully, some things remain unchanged from the traditional Amador graduation ceremony.

“Students will be able to attend in person, walk the stage and have their name read in front of their family,” said Butterfield.

Attending in person is the most important achievement in comparison to last year’s virtual experience.

“I’m really excited to see the people who I haven’t seen in over a year! Graduation feels like a reunion with half of the class who’s remote,” said Miller.

The navigation of this year was difficult and frustrating, and has only further proved Amador’s strength.

“We are proud of your resilience and successes here at AVHS. We are looking forward to celebrating you on May 28th!” said Butterfield.

Congratulations seniors.

“My last words are just that life is too short to let the way others perceive you limit your ambitions. It’s so, so, so important to trust yourself, because nobody is as invested in your life as you are. Live authentically and be the person you want to be every day!!” said Miller.