College decisions released: Seniors’ anticipation and reactions

Jerry Liu
Students’ around the nation apprehensively anticipate the incoming wave of college decisions.

As college decisions begin rolling out late March, many students find themselves laden with anxiety, hope, and uncertainty. It’s a period of sleepless nights and nerve-wracking anticipation, but also one of self-satisfaction and relief.

The pressure to secure acceptance into prestigious institutions looms large. It may be fueled by societal and familial expectations, but there’s also the desire to fulfill personal aspirations.

“The whole college decision process made me really stressed because of the pressure I put on myself I think. I have always wanted to succeed and I’ve been working so hard to get into a good college, I just feel like I have to get into a good school,” said James Ren (‘24).

The stress caused by college decisions can be challenging to navigate for many students.

“It was really hard waiting for all of my college decisions in both the early and regular rounds. It distracted me from school. And I was always just waiting for that moment when I would open up my letters after class,” said Kurtis Bauman (‘24).

The toll college applications take on students extends beyond stress and pressure.  It is also an extreme time commitment, with hours spent revising and rewriting essays.

“The college application process itself was really difficult for me. I experienced writer’s block often. So I would always try and write what I thought colleges wanted to hear, instead of just being myself. I had so many incredible things to write about, but overthinking and revising over and over again took up so much of my time,” said Angad Bhargav (‘24).

Overall, it is no question that the college application process is stressful and oftentimes frustrating.

“I think the college application process is kind of messed up. In the end, these colleges are making us decide in high school what we want to do for the rest of our lives. And if we don’t, then we’ll be left behind because we have to compete with thousands and thousands of other elite students,” said Khang Nguyen (‘24).

However, amidst the anxiety, there are moments of relief and gratification. Every acceptance reminds students of their abilities and the path to a brighter future.

“Getting accepted into schools is one of the best feelings in the world. When I was accepted into UCLA, it felt like my entire journey and all my work throughout high school was really worth it, and that I was truly on a path to focus on my dreams,” said Krishi Jaladi (‘24).