AV students and teachers travel to Paris for spring break

Sarah Price
Students toured several famous landmarks and museums in Paris and the surrounding region.

This past spring break, thirty Amador and Foothill students explored the glittering streets of Paris. This memorable trip is one of many travel opportunities offered annually to students of all grades.

Information for the trip released a year prior earlier this school year and was advertised via social media, word of mouth, and fliers posted around campus. 

“In the beginning, I set up the trip and then I try and get the word out that the trip is happening. I usually set up a Google Classroom site and I start sending people information and trivia and promotional videos and packing tips and things to get them excited. Right before we go, we have a pre-departure potluck,” said English and Competition Civics teacher Stacey Sklar.

Partnering with EF Educational Tours, students and teachers experienced safe, informative, and enjoyable travels. Sklar also collaborated with the Amador French language department, ensuring an immersive experience. 

“Half the students [on the trip] take French and I really enjoyed hearing them speaking French amongst each other. I really like to see that kids are catching on and using the language not just to get a grade, but for personal enjoyment and enrichment,” said AP French teacher Manja Benadjaoud.

The group visited and climbed the Eiffel Tower to see the city view from the top.

This year’s Paris trip exposed students to French architecture, art, food, and culture. The trip included comprehensive tours of Paris and its landmarks, as well as surrounding cities. Some key attractions students saw were the Notre Dame cathedral, Eiffel Tower, Louvre, and Musée d’Orsay.  

Additional activities included a Monet art class, tour of the Palace of Versailles, and cruise on the Seine. The general consensus amongst participants agreed that the Paris trip was eventful, enjoyable, and extremely memorable.

“[Paris] was a very unique experience because it was different from traveling with my family. I felt like I got to really experience the city with my friends and I had a lot of fun. It really broadened my world view and immersed me in French culture and history,” said trip participant Sarah Price (‘26)

There are many more exciting travel opportunities planned for the coming years. Future trips will have different focuses, such as science, political history, and exploration. 

One of the very first sights the traveling group saw was the Paris skyline.

“This June I’m taking a small group of very intrepid science-oriented students to the Peruvian Amazon.  And then next spring break, we’re doing a tour of the whole eastern side of France down to the Riviera. Then after that in the summer, I’m hoping to lead a trip to South Korea that will investigate the demilitarized zone, Jeju Island, Busan, and Seoul. Spring Break 2026, I’m hoping to lead a tour to Iceland where people get to walk on a glacier,” said Sklar.

The spring break in Paris was both culturally enriching and enjoyable for students, leaving a lasting high school memory.

“I learned a lot about French culture and history that gained new depth outside of the classroom. This was definitely a memorable trip that I’ve been looking forward to for months. My favorite part was the paintings at the Musée d’Orsay because they were so beautiful,” said Paris trip participant Stella Short (‘26).