• May 27Memorial Day: No School - (05/27)
  • May 29Finals - (05/29 to 05/31)
  • May 31Last Day of School - (05/31)

Breaking boundaries with breakdancing: How are Amador students reacting to the world’s newest Olympic sport?

Break dancing is now an Olympic sport, marking a big change for the Olympic Games. It comes from urban culture and blends tradition with innovation.

People have different feelings about break dancing joining the Olympics, but many agree it could be exciting and inspire future athletes. At the 2024 Paris Olympics, everyone will be watching as breakers perform on the big stage.

“I think that’s actually really cool just because it feels like something so niche, it adds more of an artistic thing into the Olympics.”

— Grayson Rebello (‘25)

“ Currently, my favorite thing to watch in the Olympics is swimming. But, if breakdancing got added, I definitely want to see it and I just think it’s really cool. It’s interesting, because there’s a lot of strictly competitive sports rather than more interpretative ones in the Olympics.

— Anya Kashiramka (‘26)

“I definitely think breakdancing should be included in the Olympics. One of the biggest things about the Olympics is the interest that people have. Dance has a large following. So, go USA!

— Zoe Wagner (‘24)

“I’m being completely honest — Breakdancing probably won’t get positive global recognition, because it’s not necessarily considered a sport from everyone’s perspective. But, with time, people will think it’s a cool thing. I will be cheering them on from my house.”

— Hayden Wood ('25)

“I have mixed feelings about it being a cheerleader. Break dancing will bring a whole new audience to the Olympics, but what about how we’ve struggled so hard to get our support? So, I hope this opens the door for other, more unconventional sports as well.”

— Megan Jagoe ('24)