Ben Lentz (’24) dives into success

Ben+Lentz+%2824%29+dives+into+a+pool+in+a+meet+and+greet.+
Rachelle Campanelli
Ben Lentz (’24) dives into a pool in a meet and greet.

Ben Lentz (’24)  found his passion for diving about four years ago, transitioning from gymnastics to the thrill of diving after discovering classes at the Aquatic Center.

The hardest part of pursuing diving is balancing schoolwork and diving practice. The constant pressure to perform is also tough.

“I enjoy diving. Just jumping off and being in the year, competing with everyone is a great experience,” said Lentz.

Reflecting on his journey, Lentz recalls memorable moments from competitions like the state meet. He also cherishes the friendships he makes with competitors and teammates along the way.

“One of the big tournaments was State. Last year, I went there, had a good meet, and met all a lot of friends: competitors and teammates,” said Lentz

Despite his successes, Lentz acknowledges the mental challenges inherent in diving. Managing these challenges is essential to excelling in the sport. 

“Ben was always fearless and determined, which are essential qualities for success in this sport,” said Daniel Cruz (‘24)

Ben’s dedication to his craft is visible in his rigorous training routine. He dives five days a week along with gym sessions six days a week, enhancing his performance and mobility.

Ben Lentz (’24) prepares to dive off the board. (Rachelle Campanelli )

“I admire his commitment when I see the dives that he does. If I do half the amount of flips and half the amount of twists, I would be just fine with that. So, he is like an inspiration to anyone on the team. His fearlessness and ability to just not think about things and just do them is what makes him stand out,” said Cruz.

Looking ahead, Ben plans to continue his diving journey by attending Marine College, with aspirations to eventually transfer to a D1 institution after two years. His diving journey is a captivating exploration of self-discovery, perseverance, and the joy of connecting with a supportive community.

“Consistency is key. He practices every day. Even when dive season for our school is not in session, he is at Los Patios with a different trainer diving,” said Cruz