Celine Lu (’24) leads the track team to success as the new sprints captain

Celine Lu
Celine Lu (‘24), on the right, mentors and coaches younger sprinters as sprint captain.

For the track and field’s spring season, Celine Lu is the new captain of the sprints team. She was chosen through a vote among the team.

A Passion for Running

“I’ve been leading the team since I was the oldest before being chosen as captain. I was really thankful that my teammates chose me as the official captain. I’m excited to lead them during meets and in more practices,” said Celine Lu (‘24).

Lu began sprinting in fifth grade. She joined the track team in her freshman year of high school. In her senior year, she tried out as captain. 

“I’ve always loved to run. As soon as I entered high school, I knew I wanted to join the sprints for track and field. I like that it allowed me to compete rather than just running for fun. It adds a competitive aspect that I like,” said Lu

Leading the Team

Lu leads practices for other sprinters. This includes leading stretches, sprints, and other exercises. Along with Coach Oswald, she gives feedback to the sprinters during these exercises.

“I want all my sprinters to do as well as I can. I’ve been sprinting since I was a kid, so I have a lot of knowledge to pass down to the younger sprinters. Not just knowledge about sprinting, but focus and determination,” said Lu.

Her teammates have been practicing under her guidance. Their first meet with her as captain was the Dan Gabor Track and Field Invitational which Amador Valley hosted.

“Celine is the best sprints captain I’ve had. She really led the team at Dan Gabor. She was very encouraging to everyone and was great at helping coach us. We really couldn’t have done as well without her,” said Julianna Diwa (‘24), teammate of Lu.

On March 23, the sprints team will have a meet called the Bay Area Relays at Foothill High School. Lu will have to lead her sprints team at the meet. They will be competing against many other high schools.

“I just really hope the team does well [and] will do everything I can to make sure I am the best captain I can be. I hope we can lower our times. It will be raining, but we have trained in the rain before. This is a strong team and I am thankful to be leading them,” said Lu.