9 to 5: Two weekends of musical phenomenon, Amador and Foothill collaboration musical

Max Dye
Violet making a big dream about becoming the CEO of the company she works at, but knows it will never happen because of her boss.

An Amador and Foothill tradition comes around again as the two rival schools combine to put on a school musical for all to enjoy.

Held at the Amador Valley Theater, this year’s musical is based on the movie 9 to 5 — a comedy film that captures the reality of three women being pushed to their breaking points by their sexist and egotistical boss. 9 to 5 is a story about empowerment and friendship that is just as relevant today as it was forty years ago.

The event received many approvals from the audience and attendees. Families and students complimented everything — from song choices, to costumes, to the performance itself. 

“I think it’s very poignant that this musical is being told right now, especially during an election year. One of the the same issues that were happening when the play was originally created versus now. I thought the acting was great, the choreography was awesome, it was very entertaining and [had] a lot of talent,” said ASL Teacher Kyra Britto.

There were many songs that were played throughout the show. The most iconic and favorite song that almost everyone knows being “9 to 5” by Dolly Parton was performed by the ensemble. It was a big hit that many will remember and stick with them. 

“We do sing ‘9 to 5,’ the lyrics like ‘nine to five, what a way to make a living barely getting by, It’s all taking and no giving’ and so the song kind of represents how the three women explain their lives, and how the women [were] treated during work,” said Aishwarya Andarajah (‘24).

Aside from the song aspects of this play, there were the amazing outfits the members of the cast wore throughout the duration of the show, bringing the audience back to the 1980’s, where they experienced the feel of what clothing was like back in the day.

“I think it was fantastic. Miss Davies did such an amazing job. Whenever I wore the costumes, I felt like I was taken back in time, definitely to the 1980s. And all the costumes were tailored so perfectly for each scene of the cast. Like in the first scene, I’m coming out in this, like, blue polka dot dress, to the end where I’m wearing a suit which represents a big meaning in the show,” said Andarajah.

Of course, a musical isn’t as fun as going with friends and families. So many people arrived on all the days that the show was performed. Especially the opening (March 8th) and closing (March 17th) nights, which were the busiest.

“I’d say in general a lot of things are more fun when you do them with friends, especially going to a musical. So yeah, I would say it’s definitely a lot more fun and entertaining when you go to one with friends,” said Logan Jew Fortner (‘27).

For a musical that is only rehearsed from winter break to now, the members really know how to put on a show. As stressful and time consuming this may all be, the cast members really got to know one another in the past several weeks. 

“So usually, we start around after winter break, but this year we started before winter break, like two weeks before. So the rehearsal schedule usually looks like the first couple of weeks is just learning the music…I know that Pleasanton schools have a lot of, not like real animosity towards each other, but we have beef. And I think that it’s really funny because in sports, everyone hates the other school. But for us, we come together and we enjoy everything. And we really became a family,” said Camden Nauroth (‘24).

• Violet (Natalie Piergrossi), Doralee (Veronica Pascual) and Judy (Ananya Acharya) embrace as the show ends.

• Doralee helping Hart out. Hart thinking she’s flirting.