The pressure is on: colleges start to get back to seniors

Aimee Sitter

Hearing back from colleges can be a very nerve-wracking time for students.

Aimee Sitter, Staff Writer

Seniors have finished submitting college applications, and the pressure is on as they start getting back to them. Many schools, including San Diego State University, have already gotten back to students at Amador.

“It’s a very stressful time. There are definitely days where I beat myself up over waiting for decisions, but it does get better. I deal with the stress by exploring new hobbies, productive and non-productive. I’ve gotten into journaling and reading for fun lately. My best advice is to try not to worry too much about the result you get. You will do great, no matter what school you go to,” said Tho Nguyen (‘23).

According to the Princeton Review, 74% of students said they feel highly stressed about college applications.

“It is normal and human to feel an array of feelings when you get those letters, both good and hard, just remember that you are still so much more than your application,” said College & Career Counselor Kimberly Woodworth.

Students may not have gotten into their first choice school, so having a backup school is essential for a multitude of reasons. These include financial troubles, not getting a preferred major, or other schools having favored options. 

“It’s just good to have backup plans because many schools offer a wide range of support for students, so you’ll definitely find something that still fits into a mold that works for you,” said Danica Howard (‘23).

Some students get answers back through emails, others get physical letters. Either way, getting accepted can be a huge accomplishment for some seniors.

“When you’re accepted, it feels like a sigh of relief, like being able to experience the moment you’ve waited so long for. Even when you’re rejected, I still think you’re able to get a sense of closure,” said Nguyen.

Getting answers from colleges can come with a lot of emotions for seniors, but there are some things students can remind themselves of when it comes to this stressful process. 

“The most important thing to remember as you receive your responses from colleges is that they did not accept or deny you. They accepted or denied your application. They looked at a screen with tiny bits of information about you, missing large amounts of information about what makes up the rest of you, and had to make a decision,” said Woodworth.