Miles Tucker commits to Wyoming for football

Linebacker+and+safety+Miles+Tucker+committed+to+the+Wyoming+Cowboys+as+a+preferred+walk-on.+He+took+his+official+visit+to+Laramie+on+Jan.+20.+

Miles Tucker and University of Wyoming

Linebacker and safety Miles Tucker committed to the Wyoming Cowboys as a preferred walk-on. He took his official visit to Laramie on Jan. 20.

Joseph Chiu, AVT Editor

Amador Valley football player Miles Tucker recently announced his commitment to the University of Wyoming on Feb. 1 as a safety. Tucker earned a three-star rating from 247 Sports and made First Team All-EBAL Mountain League in the 2022 season.

When Tucker first stepped onto the football field at the age of seven, he set a goal to devote himself and play this sport at the highest level. The opportunities Wyoming offers him represent the next steps in his football journey.  

“Wyoming showed me a great time [at the official visit] and showed me the most love out of all the schools that I got recruited to. It felt like home and I had a really good connection with the coaches,” said Tucker. “How well they treat their players and the developmental part of their process [stood out the most]. That was definitely what made me choose Wyoming.”

Tucker is listed as a preferred walk-on, meaning he has a spot on the team but is not given scholarship money. However, Tucker can earn the scholarship if he plays well, and many believe his passion and dedication to football can earn him that money. 

“Miles is the most fun player to play with, [and he’s] my favorite player to ever play with [as a defensive end]. He’s one of the hardest workers I’ve known and he just has that mindset for football. Away from the field, he puts that same energy into working out,” said teammate Brady Nassar.

When Amador was in need of a running back during the 2021 season, Tucker became the starter. This season, he went back to playing on defense as a linebacker and safety, a position at which he believes he excels the most. 

“I’ve been playing linebacker since I was seven. I’ve always been a defensive player. I just see the field better and my IQ shines on defense. When I got the opportunity to start on the defensive side, I was really happy about it,” said Tucker

Tucker also runs for Amador’s track and field team in the spring during the football offseason. He currently runs in the 100-meter dash, the 200-meter dash, and the 4 × 100 meters relay. 

“[Track] honestly just helps me with my speed, and [for] the quick-twist muscles you need for football, it directly translates,” said Tucker.

Miles Tucker (#4) carries the ball for the Amador Valley Dons during a 38-10 victory against Granada High School. (Sarah Yan)

During the recruiting process, Tucker credits his mom for being his “number one supporter” and head coach Danny Jones for constantly being in contact with college coaches. He also thanks his teammates for pushing him to work hard and achieve his dream.

“I was so excited for him because he’s been waiting for this for so long and he deserves it. I’m just happy someone gave him that chance,” said Nassar.

As Tucker looks forward to spending the next three to four years playing for the Wyoming Cowboys, his dedicated mindset has stayed the same since the day he was introduced to football and will continue to grow both on and off the field. 

“I’m looking forward to [making] new connections, seeing new things, and just keep grinding and improving my game because I want to make it to the league,” said Tucker. “I’m grateful for [the people around me] because if I didn’t have those people, I wouldn’t be in the position I am in today.”