Caitlin Clark: Can the gamechanger create a new path for the WNBA?

Rishit Agnihotri
Her big deal of 5 million dollars from Ice Cube also highlights how Caitlin Clark has sparked something new for this generation.

Caitlin Clark took the world by storm this year with her breathtaking performances in women’s college basketball, breaking multiple records in the process.

Clark was drafted first overall into the WNBA to the Indiana Fever, marking the start of her official professional career

“It wasn’t surprising that she went first overall because she was really the unanimous pick. She fits into any team with her playstyle,” said Soham Belgal (‘25)

Clark helped women’s basketball break multiple viewership records such as highest sporting event since 2019, highest watched women’s basketball draft, and more.

“Caitlin Clark, and this draft class in general, is exactly what the WNBA needs. This draft class with people like her, Paige Bueckers, Angel Reese, and more have incredible talent that people know about, that is publicized, and people are willing to watch,” said Aayush Gupta (‘24)

Iowa, the college team Clark has played for in the last four years, has seen massive success. Although not winning a title, the team made it to the Championships the last two tournaments, only making it to the Final Four once in 20 years before Clark. 

“March madness was pretty entertaining for both mens and women. I’ve never watched much women’s CBB before and this was my first year. I watched the semis and the finals and I thought they were pretty entertaining, better than the mens,” said Gupta

However, even players at her caliber receive backlash. Over the past few months, WNBA players have noted how much popularity Clark is gaining.

“It’s kinda strange the response she’s getting from professional women’s players. Obviously, we can’t make any conclusions on her career in the WNBA and how successful she’ll be, but she’s obviously an outstanding talent. We made similar assumptions about Victor Wembenyama and look where he’s turned out now,” said Belgal

One thing’s for sure. Caitlin Clark has spearheaded a new generation of sports for women and will continue to do so.

“It’s really exciting to see where she’s headed as a professional player and the impact she has on young children around the world,” said Belgal