AP Psychology students sleep in class to enhance current study unit

Sydney Queen

Students lowered their heads onto their desks and the floor to take advantage of the sleeping period.

Eva Grove, Photo Editor

AP Psychology students decided to reset their minds and bodies on Jan. 13 by sleeping in class, an activity that normally disobeys school etiquette.

“I’ve been doing this activity for about six years now. It’s neatly at the end of the lecture, where we preach so much about holistic behavior and feeling good and (how) the human biology is supposed to be sleeping at this time of fifth and sixth period. We’ve evolved to have this post-lunch nap,” said AP Psychology teacher Mark Kushner.

Sleep plays an important role in the study of consciousness. Amador’s psych classes are currently learning a unit on consciousness, which involves the psychological and physiological benefits of sleep, including sleep deprivation.  

“This sleep study has benefited my understanding of our current unit because we’re understanding how sleep works in cycles, and how sleeping even for 40 minutes at a time that we’re able to go through the first and second stages of sleep, and how we can see those effects on our body,” said Connor Kreizenbegk (’23). 

To further enhance the sleeping experience, the windows were completely covered to fully darken the classroom is fully darkened. This also helps students’ eyes adapt to the lack of light quicker, given the 57 minute time period they have.

I didn’t think I would fall asleep, but I actually did. I kind of surprised myself, but I was super tired so that probably helped. Mr. Kushner blacked out the classroom and put on relaxing music which made it easier to fall asleep,” said Cora Kerton (’24).

After students have rested and recharged during the winter vacation vacation, Kushner tries makes sure they start their new semester off right. 

“I find it to be a really restorative practice after a long weeks’ worth of work. Coming off break, peoples’ circadian rhythms still aren’t back to normal, and kids need a little extra rest. So this is always an enjoyable activity,” said Kushner.