Update: Absentee ballots create hope for Bond Measure I

Measure+I+is+just+one+of+the+many+efforts+that+PUSD+has+spearheaded+in+relation+to+its+initiative+to+%E2%80%9Cbuild+a+21st+century+classroom.%E2%80%9D+

Measure I is just one of the many efforts that PUSD has spearheaded in relation to its initiative to “build a 21st century classroom.”

As Alameda County’s local election results continue to surface, absentee ballots for the PUSD Measure I Bond Proposal are still being considered. As such, the vote has once again come into question with this controversial proposal and the future of PUSD hanging in the balance.

“I think that Measure I would be really good for our school. I saw some of the pictures of what our school would look like with this proposal in place – we need it. But, I am concerned with some of the taxing issues. I know these changes do not come cheap,” said Ativ Asarawala (‘24). 

In order to pass, Bond Measure I requires a 55% majority vote. As of November 16, votes supporting the given legislation have reached 54.94% of the total tally, and votes against it total 45.06% of the vote. 

“The legislation only needs 0.06% to pass. That is such a tiny number of people. I am going to watch to see which way it leans,” said Asarawala.

The bond itself continues to face opposition because of the increased taxes needed to fund the project. To explain, a tax rate of $49 per $100,000 of assessed value for Pleasanton property owners would be required to fund the first tier round of projects. 

“I think the purpose of Measure I is all in goodwill. Our facilities on campus are sub-par, as in they have not been upgraded in a long time. Our small gym is over 100 years old. However, I understand why people would reject Measure I, because of the distrust in the district’s allocation of funds,” said Gyan Bhambhani (‘23). 

Proponents of Measure I, however, cite the benefits of the proposal for student campuses around the district, particularly in regard to innovation, construction, and maintenance. For example, the first tier round of projects would include gym and theater constructions at both Amador Valley and Foothill high schools as well as new classrooms at Vintage Hills Elementary.

“I think the Measure I will enhance the creativity at PUSD school. If we have a better campus or something we can be proud of, students will be more motivated,” said Lily Keegan (‘23). 

With the future of student campuses in a precarious situation, Bond Measure I has the potential to revolutionize the state of education in Alameda County. At the end of the day, however, the future remains uncertain and community members will have to wait, watch, and listen for the results. 

“We need change. Whether that comes now or later, we need change,” said Bhambhani.