Pleasanton Unified School District’s Measure I bond on track to fail

Arlina Yang

Pleasanton Unified’s potential improvements at Amador failed at the ballot box.

Yi (Steven) Yang, AVT Editor-in-Chief

On Tuesday, not enough Pleasanton residents voted yes on Measure I, which increases funding for education facilities, including physical education spaces. Missing its mark by less than three percent, Measure I failed. 

“Generally, I think I am happy with what the gym is right now. I don’t really trust the school with funds anyways, so I would have voted no. I’m going to be graduating, so it doesn’t affect me too much,” said Lucas Zhong (‘23). 

Measure I proposes a potential new theater in front of Amador Valley High School and a new gym, among other changes that affect Amador directly. It would increase property taxes by $49 per $100,000 of valuation. However, only 52.79% of voters voted yes when 55% was needed, resulting in a failed vote. 

“Compared to the standards that Pleasanton set forth with downtown’s maintenance, our school is comparatively bad. So we should send funds to support the school as if people saw the state of our school they would be very shocked, so the voters should have voted yes,” said Timothy Gao (‘23). 

The last bond measure that Pleasanton approved was in 2016. It funded new science buildings in Pleasanton schools, including at Amador. New bond measures for elections must be finalized with Alameda County before August 12, yet debates around funding have continued for longer.