2021 Virtual College & Career Expo takes place over Zoom

Elyssa Lieu

Among with colleges and universities, the expo will also feature presentations by trade schools and other non-traditional programs.

Elyssa Lieu, AVT Editor-in-Chief

The 2021 Virtual College & Career Expo will occur on Wednesday, October 20 and Thursday, October 21 from 4 to 8 PM. 118 postsecondary institutions will be presenting their information sessions, with multiple presentations ongoing during each 25-minute slot.

“Every year Tri-Valley Regional Occupation Program (TV-ROP) plans the Tri-Valley College and Career Expo. Each high school has a TV-ROP College and Career Specialist, and the College and Career Expo rotates responsibility between the sites. This year the event was organized by Foothill High School, and Amador hosted [it] in 2018,” said ROP Counselor Kimberly Woodworth. 

What can students find out at the expo?

Students can expect to learn about general information such as programs, admissions requirements, and more. In-state schools may include information specific to Tri-Valley schools in their presentation as well.

“If we’re referring to a larger-scale presentation, where I have a group of students listening in, I definitely will go over campus highlights such as our average class size, what student life looks like on our campus, the majors and programs that we offer at East Bay, I’ll cover impaction… and since students at Amador Valley are considered local, I’ll let them know exactly what it takes to get guaranteed into our majors when they apply,” said Cal State East Bay admissions counselor Jamee Robbins.

First-time attendees can expect flexible requirements when it comes to Zoom etiquette. Although counselors encourage students to turn on their cameras, they understand that it may prove uncomfortable or impossible for students to do so.

“I always encourage students to turn on their cameras, but I know it’s hard for many, so if they can, that would be great. It makes the session better, as the presenters are not just staring at blank screens. Asking questions at the end is always good too – it shows that they are engaged. Active listening is always appreciated too, and the session is really for [the student’s] benefit, so it’s important they take notes and write down what interests them,” said UC Riverside admissions counselor Jocelyne Jerez. 

One of the most important advantages the expo holds is the opportunity for students to connect with counselors at their prospective future schools. Most presentations will include a Q+A section during the end, and counselors advise students to take advantage by all means. 

“Don’t be scared to ask a question like ‘do you offer this specific major,’ or ‘what’s the difference between the bachelor’s of science major or the bachelor’s of arts major’; definitely ask about scholarships, since a lot of seniors don’t realize when the scholarship opens, so some seniors miss those deadlines when they’re applying to CSUs. If you’re planning to live on-campus at that school, make sure you ask for the housing contact information, and really just have maybe three questions… Because there is a good chance that some other students might have that same question and want to know the answer, [and] that way if it’s not answered in the session, you can make sure you walk away with that information,” said Robbins.  

For seniors in particular, the expo can help shed some light as they finalize their college lists.

“I think [the expo’s] a really good opportunity where students can actually talk and ask questions to an admissions counselor from the school that they’re interested in, because sometimes the information on the website isn’t as personal as it would be if you heard it directly,” said Sophia Yao (‘22).

Students can check out the official schedule and website here.