• May 27Memorial Day: No School - (05/27)
  • May 29Finals - (05/29 to 05/31)
  • May 31Last Day of School - (05/31)

5 activities to make the most of warmer weather

As the weather gets warmer, sunny days have begun to dominate recent weeks. Especially since Pleasanton fosters prime weather and is surrounded by several attractions, these activities can be a great way to make the most of those days.

1. Hiking

There are several hiking trails around the Bay Area. Two ideal seasons for hiking are spring and early summer since blooming

Tomales Point Trail at Point Reyes is a trail that offers beautiful views and has an abundance of flowers and vegetation. (Lauren Tran)

flowers and lush greenery blanket the trails during these months.

For an easy, everyday hiking trail, the Ohlone Wilderness Regional Preserve and Lands End are beautiful spots. Although there is a two-dollar entry fee at the Ohlone Wilderness Regional Preserve, there are several trails of varying difficulty levels.

These trails journey all over Alameda County and nearby cities, providing a path to hidden, peaceful locations. The Lands End trail is home to an abundance of native plants and is located in San Francisco right next to the water.

“I went hiking at Lands End over spring break with my family. It was a nice, relaxing trail that had a bunch of cool sights. Make sure to bring a camera because you’ll want to capture the amazing scenery,” said Riya Sharda (‘25).

Mount Sutro Open Space Reserve, Tomales Point Trail at Point Reyes, and Angel Island State Park are also excellent trails with peaceful scenery. Each trail has its unique features and sights. For instance, Tomales Point Trail at Point Reyes fosters an abundance of wildlife, vegetation, and flowers. Also conveniently located near small restaurants and shops, it offers an all-around great experience. 

2. Swimming

What better way to beat the heat than swimming? There are several fun activities to do at the pool, from actual swimming to poolside games. Sharks and minnows, marco-polo, and chicken fights are just a few classic pool games.

For activities out of the water, playing spike ball, volleyball, or engaging in water balloon fights are simple, yet entertaining choices. Accompanied by the fresh, nostalgic scents of sunblock and chlorine, these activities are sure to create plenty of memorable moments.

“I swim competitively and for Amador. While I do have challenging practices, it’s sometimes fun to take my mind off of serious swimming and just play games. I like sharks and minnows because it helps me train my lungs while having lots of fun. Plus, the game is really nostalgic to me,” said Joyce Huang (‘25).

3. Beach trip

Pleasure Point is a quiet, tranquil, and concealed beach located in Santa Cruz, CA. (Lauren Tran)

A beach trip is a perfect way to relax and soak up the sunshine. Take a blanket, a small picnic basket, sunglasses, and a digital camera, and you will be all set. There are plenty of activities to do at the beach, such as surfing, swimming, or playing beach volleyball.

A few beaches around the Bay Area are Gray Whale Cove, Montara State Beach, Pleasure Point, and Baker Beach. They all have beautiful scenery and serve as a great hangout spot. Especially since they are all located within the Bay Area, they are perfect spots to visit during warmer weather.

4. Day trip to San Francisco

A day in the city? Yes, please! San Francisco’s close proximity to Amador makes it an ideal activity for a quick day trip. Additionally, San Francisco is a bustling, eccentric city that is home to a great deal of attractions.

While on a day trip, some activities include going to trending restaurants, walking across the Golden Gate Bridge, and visiting great landmarks such as Pier 39, Lombard Street, and Fisherman’s Wharf. All spots are perfect for visiting with family and friends.

5. Ice cream run

Even when it’s not warm out, the Dairy is always super popular. (Lauren Tran)

With the warm weather creeping in, a nice, cold, sweet treat is sometimes all you need to withstand the heat. Founded in 1919, the Meadowlark Dairy is located in downtown Pleasanton and is a staple in the Pleasanton community. They have a variety of soft-serve ice cream flavors along with several snacks and refreshments on hand. 

“I have a lot of friends who work at the Dairy, and they say it gets really busy when the weather starts to warm up. Whenever I pass by, there’s almost always a long line of people and cars, but the line moves pretty quickly,” said Emily Bull (‘24).