Feathered Fiesta: Exotic Bird Expo hosted at Fairgrounds

Daniel Cruz
Various types of birds were showcased at the expo.

On Sunday, April 14, hundreds flocked to the 5th annual Exotic Bird & Poultry Expo. The visitors attended to buy, sell, and relate to owners of various species of birds at the Alameda County Fairgrounds. Vendors selling birds and visitors from all over mixed and mingled over their niche hobby.

The one-day event went from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event space was relatively small but hundreds of bird enthusiasts who were eager to show off their prized pets and this season’s colorful stock of birds packed the space. Visitors and vendors of all ages came from all over the Bay Area to participate in this event. 

“We were in Fresno yesterday, and are thinking of going to Santa Rosa next weekend. But we’ll see, Right now we’re low on birds as we’ve sold most of them,”  said bird breeder Michael Robertson.

Once inside the tightly sealed doors, likely to prevent a bird breakout, visitors were enamored with something from a scene in Rio. Birds of all shapes and sizes from every corner of the world were on display. From tiny yellow finches to funky Mandarin Ducks to opulent Macaws, there was something for all to enjoy. Personal favorite? The Gouldian Finch, with its Amador-esque yellow-and-purple chest. 

Personable Parrots

Some owners choose their birds based on their unique personalities, not just appearance. Sometimes, however,  it’s not uncommon for the bird to choose their human. 

“We used to have 2 African Greys, and our kids bonded with them. We learned that the birds choose you, bond with you, based on your personality. One was more funny, one was more serious, and one was more talkative, and one needed more personal space. That was one big learning experience for our kids and us [when we first got birds],” said vendor and art curator Crisaly Fernandez.

Most vendors are family-run backyard businesses, with kids helping care for the birds and working the booths.  It takes hard work and early mornings to breed and care for the breeder’s extensive collections of exotic birds. 

“My morning routine is I wake up at 4:30 AM and I change the water, the bedding, I feed them, I vacuum, a LOT of vacuuming because there’s a lot of birds. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half to finish,” said Gloria, a breeder from the Evadel Bird Lover stand.

A Great Opportunity 

Breeders use these opportunities at events to connect with fellow birders over their unique hobby and discuss this year’s stock of birds. The bird community is brought together with expos like this one, and many return annually to see their bird buddies. 

“We go to a lot of other expos to see what’s going on, who’s selling what, and talk to some members of the [bird] community [to] talk and network and get to know them,” said Fernandez. 

Some of the birds at the event were more affordable and easy to take care of, while others were upwards of $2,000. These exclusive birds are tricky to raise and take special care and constant mental stimulation.

Overall, the event was a wonderful experience for everyone involved. Especially since aviculturists and bird enthusiasts got to meet again to share their intense passion for these beautiful birds. 

“I’ve been doing this event for around 5 years. It’s a great opportunity for the [exotic bird] community,” said an event organizer and promoter.