School in the new normal

Leila T

The sun sets over Amador Valley High School with no students in sight. Students continue virtual learning, leaving Amador empty.

Leila Touati, Page Editor

In the past few months, Amador students and teachers alike have made the change to virtual learning and teaching through electronic devices, and the change was challenging. But with summer vacation approaching quickly, will we continue this “new normal” of virtual learning through the fall as well?

The Amador teachers are hopeful to see their students in the fall, but respect the possible safety concerns that can cause students to stay home.

“I think and hope that we will get to go back to school in the fall. I selfishly wish we could go back full time, but I think we will end up having school part time in person and part time online. The tough part about that is it creates a lot more work for the teachers and most of the tests would fall on those days that we can see you. The plus side is that we get the interaction that we all need, and I can form the priceless connections with my students that I live for,” said Marisa Mejasich, an Algebra I and Geometry teacher.

Phased opening of Amador can offer a small way for students and teachers alike to slowly return to their usual routines while keeping themselves and others safe.

“I don’t think we will go back to school but if we do decide to open school and allow students to go there I don’t think that all the students would be allowed to go out once they probably have some sort of on-and-off situation where a certain number of students go on campus one day and then don’t go for the rest of the week or some variation of that,” said Dhruvi Mehta (‘22). 

Online learning was a big adjustment to all students at Amador, and students are lucky to have teachers who are willing to go the extra mile for their students. 

I’ve kind of gotten used to teaching virtually. I have my daily routine, I tried to make the daily agenda as close to what it was when we were in school as possible. But I can’t seem to adjust to not seeing my kids everyday,” said Mejasich.

Students who are committed to extracurriculars such as clubs or sports, are hoping to return to school to continue their passion, but understand the importance of staying home.

“My extracurriculars may be affected by the virus, and I’ve learned to be okay with that because it is affecting all of us. I believe it’s important to understand that we may be missing out on stuff, but we have to be thankful that we are in good health and live in a safe community during this time. I probably will miss out on a lot of my extracurriculars because of the virus, though I know that COVID-19 could bring many other opportunities to all of us as well,” said Chloé Peissner (‘22).

The “new normal” for students and teachers is staying flexible to any changes that may occur next school year.