Club Profile: NAMI advocates for Amador’s mental health

Aakanksha Balachander
The NAMI club officers plan to create a safe and fun environment with interactive and relaxing activites at every meeting.

A new club is on the Amador campus: Amador Valley’s very own offshoot of NAMI, which stands for National Alliance of Mental Illnesses. NAMI is the nation’s largest mental health organization, a significant portion of it’s work borne out of the efforts of grassroots efforts to help combat stigma around mental illnesses. 

“AV NAMI creates a better space on our campus where mental health is destigmatized and normalized. The horrifying reality of the exodus of teenagers struggling with mental health [inspired me to start the club]. I realized how big of an issue it is for students–we know so many people [who] struggle with stress. And we need to let people know that they’re not alone either,” said club President Alissa Wang (26). 

About the club

The National Alliance of Mental Health started as a small group of families around a kitchen table back in 1979. To foster a sense of community and support, NAMI club meetings take place in a large semi-circle. This shift from the standard lecture-style organization encourages connectivity and camaraderie. 

“Our activities are really fun, and it’s not boring lectures. We don’t spend that much time talking at people. It’s always interactive.” said Wang.

• The NAMI club meets bimonthly in M-1, offering opportunites to destress, share out, and manage mental health.

Previous meetings involved activities such as making origami hearts with kind messages on the inside. The club officers have a surplus of fun activities such as that planned for future meetings.

“We host events, like making slime for mental health, we’re planning on getting stress relief animals to come on campus, making tie-dye shirts,” said secretary Mewish Aftab (26).

The club originally started out of a desire to help provide support for vulnerable students in the Amador community. 

“We wish we had the types of mentors that we’re being for other people, when we’re going through a hard time,” said Aftab.

Looking to the future

The club’s primary goal is to build their membership rate and be a safe space for students on campus.

“I want more people to join the club because we want to be more impactful in the community. [I want to] expand out of campus–onto Foothill or maybe Pleasanton Meadows; the whole downtown area. Amador does present to middle schoolers sometimes, and I want our club to do that too,” said Aftab

Undoubtedly, the club is doing important work that anyone can participate in. Arguably, the biggest benefits NAMI provides are ways to maintain mental health, setting members up for success later in life. 

“Managing your mental health is a big part of preparing for college. Knowing how to manage your mental health in high school would definitely be useful for college,” said Wang.