Mapping success: Geography Club enhances students’ knowledge and academic readiness

Abhinav+Garg+%28%E2%80%9825%29+lectures+on+ancient+theories+about+the+Earth+in+a+Geography+Club+meeting.+
Hunter Gapol
Abhinav Garg (‘25) lectures on ancient theories about the Earth in a Geography Club meeting.

Founded by Hanzhem Yu (‘25) and Abhinav Garg (‘25), the Amador Valley Geography Club offers students an all-inclusive environment to deepen their knowledge of world geography. The club meets every Monday at lunchtime in Mr. Yovino’s classroom, Q212. 

What does the Geography Club do?

Hanzhem Yu and Abhinav Garg wanted to fill a void on campus and foster a passion for geography among their peers.

“This club first started my sophomore year when my group of friends and I created this club because there wasn’t anything like this club on campus. We wanted to basically promote interest in geography and have fun as well,” said Yu

The club has weekly meetings and attends the occasional club fair like Pigskin. However, this year they also plan to host a competition for middle school students. They hope the competition brings the excitement of geography to a whole new level.

We’re hosting geography meetings for middle schools, so we are gonna have trivia questions. Then, we are going to go to the middle school and host the competition, so that’s gonna be a ton of fun,” said Yu

The Geography Club also organized a fundraiser last year to support the victims of the Morocco earthquake. Through their collective efforts, they not only raised awareness about the crisis but also gathered funds to provide aid and assistance to those affected by the disaster.

“We also did a fundraiser back in last year for the Morocco earthquake that happened and we raised money as well,” said Yu.

Why is the Geography Club unique?

As a club member, April Xu (‘25) reflects on the differences between their club and other clubs. She highlights the crucial balance between education and entertainment. 

“Well, I think for other clubs, they focus less on education, and more on entertainment. I feel like this one teaches you a lot of things while also making it fun at the same time,” said Xu

Xu commends the club officers for their organization. She particularly emphasized the dedication evident in the weekly sideshows and the careful planning of competitions. 

I like how organized the officers are when they make the sideshows for us every week. I think they put a lot of effort into that and also with organizing the competitions and researching for them,” said Xu

The Geography Club serves as a valuable resource for students preparing for history and geography subjects such as AP Human Geography. By researching topics covered in the curriculum, the club enhances members’ understanding and equips them with outside knowledge to excel.  

“[Geography Club] helps with reviewing AP Human Geography content. [The club] covers a lot of stuff that you would usually learn and it enhances it because it adds outside knowledge that can probably help you when you answer your FRQs and stuff like that,” said Xu.

Potential members interested in joining this club can easily reach out to club officers via email or they are welcome to attend one of the weekly Monday meetings, held during lunchtime in Mr. Yovino’s room. 

If they want to join they can email us at [email protected] or they can just come to one of our Monday meetings we meet pretty much every single week during lunch in Mr. Yonino’s class,” said Yu.