• May 27Memorial Day: No School - (05/27)
  • May 29Finals - (05/29 to 05/31)
  • May 31Last Day of School - (05/31)

Graduating creatively: How are seniors decorating their grad caps?

Sparkly paper and gems outlined the college symbol of the University of Colorado at Boulder. (Karson Knuth)

As the school year comes to a close, Amador’s senior class begins to prepare for graduation. Seniors from all over the campus beautify their caps with extraordinary designs. These designs display anything from meaningful quotes to the emblem of their future colleges.

“I saw some [inspiration] from past years and from friends who are going to the same college, which is Boulder. So I basically just got some sparkly paper and gems and outlined a buffalo onto my cap,” said Karson Knuth (‘24).

Seniors take hours or even days to complete their caps. They can be as creative as they want as long as they follow the school’s protocol and requirements. Amador requires that all decorations must be 1/4 inch or shorter and be socially appropriate. 

Many of our seniors get their inspiration from either the internet or even past alumni. Some decorate their caps with their future college’s symbol. Others use a meaningful quote that has impacted their journey, or something they simply just enjoy.

Compared to Knuth’s take on a grad cap, Sapriza chose to avoid showcasing her future college. Instead, Sapriza chose a quote that inspired and pushed her forward. (Maria Clara Sapriza)

“I didn’t want my high school graduation cap to be college themed, I feel like this stage of my life is too important to be remembered by the school I will be attending next; so I wanted to keep the purple and gold for Amador,” said Maria Clara Sapriza (‘24). “The quote on my cap really just shows my attitude towards what’s to come next for me. I want to keep an open mind and celebrate this new chapter of my life as the adventure I am sure it will be.”

With finals just around the corner, it can be difficult for seniors to find the time to decorate their caps. Many chose to gather inspiration throughout the school day and save decorating and getting the needed materials for the weekend.

“To be honest, for me, I just have to carve out specific times for it, just to make sure I will be able to do it at all,” said Camden Nauroth (‘24).

There are an abundance of craft stores within the Pleasanton area, but many favor Michaels over in Dublin. Seniors go with friends to pick out the accessories they need for their caps. From glitter, to gems, to flowers, and more, local craft stores offer options that appeal to any style.

“I went to Michaels and got craft supplies, and did a green background. Then I did like a silvery Michigan Spartan in the middle, and then bedazzled the outside of it. I had to hot-glue all the sparkles individually, so it took me about 2-3 hours just for that part,” said Zoe Allison (‘24).

While some seniors work with friends to get their caps completed, there are others who prefer to work solo. As fun as it is to work with friends, working alone is more meaningful to some.

“I would be more likely to do it by myself just because you know, it’s my cap, it’s something I’m going to do for my own graduation,” said Joshua Ancony (‘24).