• May 27Memorial Day: No School - (05/27)
  • May 29Finals - (05/29 to 05/31)
  • May 31Last Day of School - (05/31)

Adventures on a budget: Planning affordable senior trips

Julia Evans
Planning your senior trip might seem like a daunting task but in reality, it can be made quite simple.

As the 2024 school year draws to a close, many graduating seniors are eagerly planning summer trips with friends, aiming to create lasting memories before embarking on to college, jobs, or other pursuits. For many, this marks their first trip without family, making the planning process both exciting and important.

“My friends and I are going to Hawaii, which is so exciting. This is the first big trip I’ve gone on with just friends. Planning has definitely been a challenge, since none of my friends have planned something like this on our own,” said Kriti Gaur (‘24).

Early planning is key to securing better deals and a wider range of options. The first step is setting a budget that everyone can afford and feels comfortable with, as different destinations come with varying costs. Key expenses to consider include transportation, accommodations, food, activities, and miscellaneous costs. Establishing the budget first is crucial, as it will influence the choice of destination, mode of transportation, and duration of the trip.

Once a collective budget is established, research destinations that fit within it. Traveling locally or opting for camping can be economical choices, helping to reduce transportation expenses. When selecting a location, consider group interests, safety, and available activities. After agreeing on a destination, the next step is to book accommodations. For those on a tight budget, look for deals or consider alternatives such as Airbnb or hostels. 

Choose the mode of transportation based on your destination. If flying, book early to secure better deals. More affordable options include trains, cars, or buses, which can help reduce expenses. The best choice will depend on whether the destination is international, across the country, or local.

While planning an itinerary is optional, it can be helpful to ensure everyone gets to enjoy their desired activities and nothing fun is overlooked. It’s also a good idea to leave some flexibility in the schedule to accommodate spontaneous activities discovered during the trip. An itinerary can also help pack for the planned activities as well as basic essentials.

“Planning my senior trip was a pain but I’m glad I don’t need to worry about it anymore. I’m so excited to just have fun on my trip now,” said Milo Evans (‘24).

Senior trips are a fantastic way to cap off the high school experience. Thorough planning ensures the trip goes smoothly, allowing seniors to focus on having fun rather than worrying about details.

“I will miss high school and all the experiences I’ve had so much. I’m excited to make my last memories of it on my trip,” said Sumaya Ahmed (‘24).