Behind the scenes: AV Lacrosse thrives under the radar

Matteo Gable
Game to game, the lacrosse team has put on a great performance since the start of the season.

At Amador Valley High School, amidst a bustling array of sports, lacrosse often glides under the radar, its vibrant season stretching from February 19th to May 30th. Yet, amidst the flurry of activity, there remains a veil of mystery surrounding this dynamic sport, leaving many unaware of its intricacies and excitement.

“I feel like the sport isn’t thought of that often because it originated from Native Americans instead of being popularized earlier in Europe or America. It’s also due to expensive equipment as well as lack of funding,” said Jalen Alami (24’).

Lacrosse demands a diverse skill set, challenging players to master the art of scoring goals while maneuvering a ball with a forty-inch stick. Safety is crucial in this fast-paced game, with helmets, mouthguards, and pads essential gear to shield players from both opponents and the unforgiving lacrosse ball.

In addition to the expensive gear, the time and energy required to play the sport at such a high level is a necessity. Often compared to sports like soccer and basketball, it offers a blend of athleticism and strategy.

“Lacrosse is a very fast paced game. Gameplay begins with a face-off, with the objective of scoring goals on each teams’ respective end of the field,” said Varsity Boys Coach John Honea.

Entering the lacrosse program requires adherence to the concussion protocol and physical clearance for spring, ensuring the safety and well-being of every player.As participation grows, so does the sport’s popularity, fostering a vibrant community of players and fans alike.

“I’m really glad I started playing lacrosse because I love the sport and I love all of my teammates. I wish a lot more people played because it definitely should be a lot more popular,” said Grace Gable (27’).