Club Profile: Psychology Club help students thrive in their AP Psychology course

Eva Carranza
Gauri Chawla (’25) starts off the Psych Club meeting with a Kahoot game to help members prepare for their upcoming exam.

AP Psychology, a course offered at Amador, is all about studying human behavior and mental processes. The Psychology Club focuses on covering the College Board course’s material through a multitude of different resources. 

Gauri Chawla (‘25)  joined the club during her sophomore year of high school quickly becoming treasurer of the club. She gained interest in the club during the club fair she attended freshman year of high school. This year, she is the Vice President of the club.

“I want the club to grow and I want to bring more underclassmen who aren’t taking AP [Psychology] but have an interest in the field. I want to help them learn more about Psychology,” said Chawla.

The Psychology club aims to help students understand the course material. It also spreads awareness about the importance of psychology to students at Amador. 

“The Psychology club aims to spread more information and awareness about psychology to the students on campus. This year especially we have aligned with the AP [Psychology] curriculum. We also do other topics that AP Psychology does not cover so that students can have more insight into the different fields in psychology,” said Chawla.

Psychology Club Officers help club members understand the material in relation to the AP Psychology course. (Eva Carranza)

College Board is a non-profit organization that runs the AP tests that students take all over the nation. Last year, 321,329 students took the Advanced Placement exam in 2023. The Psych club helps students excel in the course and to help them prepare for the AP exam they will take in May. 

“We have club meetings almost every Thursday and at club meetings we usually present slides about certain topics. We talk about the [current] AP Psych unit or another general topic such as a case study. We’ll also play a Kahoot usually and have prizes for the winners. We played mind games [before] and this week we are going to take IQ tests,” said Chawla.

The Psychology Club’s goal for the future is for more people to join the club, especially those who are interested in the field.

“I love attending the meetings because it gives me a chance to review any information we previously learned in class and also ask questions about what we’re confused about. We also get to play really fun games like Kahoot to review,” said Emaan Chaurdy (‘25).