Celicia Thendean (’26) explores the world through music

Celicia Thendean
Starting from a young age, Celicia Thendean (’26)has been exploring the world through her passion for music.

From a young age, Celicia Thendean(‘26) has been passionate about music. Whether it’s performing in benefit concerts to participating in music competitions, Thendean has always shown an interest. 

“I feel like I can express my feelings towards other people through music, and it’s a really powerful tool to reach other people,” said Thendean.

Thendean plays a total of five instruments, which include piano, cello, oboe, and English horn for concert band and orchestra. And the clarinet for marching band, adding to her instrumental skills.

“Celicia entered the music program in 9th grade as a very accomplished piano and oboe player. I think what I’ve seen really develop in the last two years that I’ve been her teacher has been the level of expression that she brings to her music. It seems like that’s continued to develop and mature even more,” said AV Band Director Jon Grantham

Competitions and Performances

Thendean has taken part in countless different competitions, and performed in numerous different concerts. The most recent accomplishment was the International Young Arts Concerto Competition (IYACC).

“Recently, I was in Chicago for this concerto competition. It was called the International Young Arts Competition, and I got to play with the orchestra, so that was really cool,” said Thendean

IYACC allows musicians 18 and under to get a chance to play in front of world-class judges. Thendean, performing the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2, became one of 16 semifinalists all across the globe. 

“What motivates me to get better is definitely these competitions but also just getting to perform in front of other musicians and great audiences,” said Thendean

Thendean is also planning a future benefit concert for the Who Foundation. From this performance, she hopes to support and promote global health and well-being. Along with this, she has performed in Amador’s Collage concert as well as its benefit concerts. 

“I had the opportunity to see her perform at a recital that she gave last year, and I felt very moved and energized by not just the amount of music that she had memorized, but also how much passion and commitment she brought to everything that she prepared,” said Grantham

Passion and Talent

Thendean is already a sophomore in Amador’s Wind Ensemble I, the highest band in the school. She has also made a mark as a fabulous musician in its music program.

“I think the thing that makes Celicia such a special musician is she’s taken talent and coupled it with an unparalleled drive and work ethic and focus towards improving her craft as a musician. That’s what sets her apart from so many world-class musicians of her age,” said Grantham.

• Celicia Thendean (’26) performs with the Livermore Amador Symphony playing Schumann Piano Concert No. 1 in A Minor.

• Thendean, age 7, receives a certificate on the stage of the Weill Hall at Carnegie Hall.