Strategies to stay fit: How athletes stay dedicated over Winter Break

Caleb Hong
Gym work, while sometimes uncomfortable and not fun, is of vital importance to an athlete’s winter break work.

With the winter sports season in full swing, it is vital that our top athletes stay fit and healthy over the winter break.

For athletes in the season, maintaining momentum and adhering to training regimens are baseline practices.

“Outside of training (our coach still holds sessions), I really try to go out to the field and train by myself. I think that differentiates the good players from the great players, especially in soccer,” said Varsity Soccer Defender Ramsay Hanna (’26).

An athlete’s diet is also crucial to staying fit and healthy. During the winter break, sticking to a healthy diet is even more challenging.

“Although I don’t have a strict diet, I do believe that it is important not to eat junk. It’s still important to consume a good balance of carbs, fats, and proteins so that your body doesn’t go into shock when the season starts back up,” said Hanna.

Playing their sport is the most basic form of an athlete’s work during breaks, preventing rustiness and maintaining a desire to improve.

“I do try to play every day. Over winter break, I got to play a lot more because I didn’t have homework, probably three hours a day,” said Tennis Player Montana Parkinson-Lubold (’24).

Athletes vary, but some like to incorporate extra rest days or gym sessions into their schedule. It is mostly based on individual needs.

“I would say that I did try to lift weights three days a week and run every day. I can’t do this in the high school season because I have a lot less time,” said Parkinson-Lubold.

Although some may feel that the freedom of the two-week winter break is liberating and makes it easier to fit in all of an athlete’s work, some disagree and find the vast unfilled time difficult to manage.

“It’s definitely difficult to stick to a schedule because I have so much free time and I can procrastinate on stuff. It’s definitely harder, but in the end, for me, it’s fine,” said Parkinson Lubold.