Preserving Pleasanton Library culture through modern age

Lauren Tran
The Friends of the Pleasanton Library hosted a book sale to raise funds for the library.

Along with being home to a wide diversity of literature, the Pleasanton Public Library hosts an extensive amount of events and activities that all go towards benefiting the community. From Sept. 21-24, the Friends of the Pleasanton Library held a book sale to raise money and promote the library. 

“I think the concept of the Friends of the Pleasanton Library is really cool because the money they receive from the sales goes towards the library. It can help with keeping the library in good shape for many years to come,” said Hailey Hamilton (‘25).

The Friends of the Pleasanton Library is a non-profit organization that creates fundraising events for the library, such as reading challenges and free performances by local musicians. Its mission is to help connect the community through the culture of the library.

“I read that the Friends [tries] to keep the Pleasanton Library culture strong because they believe that it is a huge part of the community, and I agree because I grew up going to the library every other day. I think it had a big impact on my life today,” said Joyce Huang (‘25).

The Friends of the Pleasanton Library has contributed greatly to promoting a culture full of vibrant literature within the community. It hopes to instill a newfound appreciation for the library, as it is an essential part of Pleasanton’s community and has fostered many childhoods. 

“I participated in many activities at the library when I was a kid and it shaped my childhood. I believe that the Friends of the Pleasanton Library does a really good job at trying to bring together the community, and it will really continue to change kids’ lives for a long time,” said Huang.

There were several different genres of books for sale, such as mystery and fiction. People of all ages gathered to cruise through the aisles and find a suitable book.

People strolled down the aisles to find an appealing book. (Lauren Tran)

“I went to the book sale at the Pleasanton library because I love reading, and I heard that there were a bunch of new and old books. I personally like murder mystery books, but there were a lot of other books for everyone,” said Hamilton

As society rapidly evolves, it is apparent that younger generations today are much different from the past. The Friends of the Pleasanton Library recognizes this, and they believe that hosting events will help Pleasanton residents stay engaged in literature and with the community.

“Younger generations are definitely more tech-savvy and probably read a lot online instead of going to the library, so these kinds of events are really helpful because they can go when there are activities or events they are interested in,” said Huang.