Smoke descends on Pleasanton as fires rage in surrounding areas

As students stepped on campus today, a thick layer of smoke blanketed the skies.
Cora Kerton
Pleasanton Ridge obstructed by the smoke.

You may have smelled it or felt a headache. Maybe you looked up and the sky was a little grayer than usual. Needless to say, the blanket of smoke sitting over Pleasanton is hard to ignore.

“Mismanagement of forestry, we have not allowed burns for so long that we have a lot of overgrowth in out forests; climate change, the forests are drying out. We haven’t let fires burn through so the undergrowth has gotten so thick,” said Amador AP Environmental Science Teacher Robyn Fewster.

Smoke from several wildfires is traveling south into the Bay Area, including the Anvil Fire in Oregon, the SRF Lightning Complex Fire in Humboldt County, and the Smith River Complex Fire in Del Norte County. At times, the fires feel like an insurmountable dilemma. But, there are still simple, yet effective ways for everyone to protect from themselves its potentially harmful effects.

“If somebody is sensitive and they have breathing problems or asthma diagnosis that would be something that they might be concerned about. For some people, it might bother their eyes. I think in times like now, it is a good idea to keep activities indoors,” said Amador Health Clerk Pamela Lucero.

Students will be provided alternate locations to eat lunch, and outdoor activities and athletics will be modified in accordance with the air quality.