Preview of the 2023 track season

Aimee Sitter

Track runners going for a warm-up lap before starting practice.

Aimee Sitter, Staff Writer

With spring sports applications in, they are all starting to begin. This means it is the start of the track season as well. Athletes can either be long-distance runners (running up to 2 miles) or run sprints (which start at 100 meters). Every team member has different goals for the season, no matter if it’s their first season or last.

“My personal goal is to run a sub 2:10 800m and sub 55 400m at some point in the season. Team-wise, it would be awesome if we did well at the NCS finals,” said Tommy Hekl (‘26).

The first and last seasons can bring very different challenges for all students, especially ones differing in grade level.

“This season, personally I have the ambitious goal of running under 4:20 in the mile, and then for the 2 miles, my goal is under 9:30. As a team, I’m hoping that we win the EBAL meet,” said Ryken Mak (‘23).

Getting into track involves submitting the sports contract after getting it from homecampus.com, and once it gets started, much can be expected of the team that has won 7th in the state, EBALs, and NCS more than once.

“It just takes lots and lots of discipline. It’s every single day, you can’t miss anything. You have to travel a lot for all the meets and there are lots of meets, so it takes a lot of time,” said Kyle Sommerfield (‘24).

Many students are climbing the ladder of achievement this year, including senior Ryken Mak. 

“It’s a bit sad because I have been doing this since 4th grade. I love the community it creates, not only within the team but also within other competitors. I feel like we’re all just a running family,” said Mak.

The track season starting means a lot of hard work, time, and effort for all students involved. The first meet of the season is Dan Gabor (which we host) on March 4th after a scrimmage on Friday, February 17th, where Amador will participate in sprints, hurdles, and long-distance races.