Amador’s varsity baseball team reflects on a hard-fought season

Joseph Chiu

Each player gave their mom flowers before the final game of the season against Foothill on 5/6/22.

Joseph Chiu, Staff Writer

After finishing the season 6-18, Amador’s varsity baseball team will unfortunately miss the playoffs. Despite the adversity, team spirit was still high throughout the season. Returning members of the team will enter the offseason working to climb back to the top. 

Due to its culture, Amador baseball is held to a high standard every season. Unfortunately, this year has been an unlucky draw. Even with obstacles that were out of their control, they have been able to hold their heads high and fight hard each game. 

“Between key injuries to players [and] guys missing for COVID, the players have continued to work hard and kind of upheld all the standards and expectations. It hasn’t been a complete loss but record-wise, [the season] hasn’t been up to Amador’s expectations in the past,” said Head Coach Louis Cesario.

For the seniors on the team, it has been a great run full of irreplaceable memories. Some of the seniors will go on to join the college baseball teams, and their lessons and experiences in high school baseball will serve them well in their next stage of their athletic career.

“After high school, I’m attending UNR (University of Nevada, Reno) [in] which I’m trying to possibly walk-on to the team after my surgery. [My favorite part about high school baseball was] getting to play with all my good friends and coming out to the field every day with the people I love,” said Shortstop Brian Walrath (‘22).

Amador finished the season with 113 hits, a 0.226 batting average, and a 0.905 fielding percentage. The Dons’ last game ended with a near comeback effort in the seventh inning against Foothill, but the Dons lost 4-3, leading to a 1-12 record in league games. 

“We had some injuries this year, so I think it’ll be good to have some of our guys back healthy. I definitely need to work on my arm strength [because] that’s a big part of playing outfield. I think we’ll be a better team in general [next year]. We’ll have better relationships with each other, and that’ll just make everything more smooth,” said Right Fielder Mitchell Kreider (‘23).

Eleven seniors on the team will be graduating this June. On the other hand, Coach Cesario expects incoming and returning players to use this season as a learning experience and fuel their desire to be great again next year. 

“It’s been a difficult season in a lot of ways, but there’s no guarantees for anybody, and all you can ask for is to do your best every day and see what happens,” said Cesario.