Weather

• 3 AM
    46 °
  • 4 AM
    45 °
  • 5 AM
    45 °
  • 6 AM
    46 °
  • 7 AM
    48 °
  • 8 AM
    52 °
  • 9 AM
    56 °
  • 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    62 °
  • 12 PM
    64 °
  • 1 PM
    66 °
  • 2 PM
    67 °
  • 3 PM
    65 °
  • 4 PM
    63 °
  • 5 PM
    60 °
  • 6 PM
    57 °
  • 7 PM
    54 °
  • 8 PM
    51 °
  • 9 PM
    50 °
  • 10 PM
    49 °
  • 11 PM
    48 °
  • 12 AM
    48 °
  • 1 AM
    48 °
  • 2 AM
    48 °
  • 3 AM
    48 °
April 27
68°/ 45°
Sunny
April 28
66°/ 44°
Sunny
April 29
69°/ 40°
Sunny
Amadors Powderpuff team regroups after the exciting game.
Amador faces Foothill in annual Powderpuff football game
Eva Grove, Amadon Sports Editor • April 26, 2024

On Saturday, April 20th, Amador hosted their annual Powderpuff game against their cross-town rivals. The game is held every April to raise money...

The Wellness Center, located in the library, is an excellent resource for anyone who needs help managing stress.
Stress awareness month: Tips to mitigate stress with finals fast approaching
Rebecca Mestel, AVT Features Editor • April 26, 2024

With finals and AP tests on the horizon, it’s no secret that April is a pretty stress-inducing month. However, this is why it also makes sense...

Cricket has been explosive sport even in America, giving rise to many youth teams across the country.
From pitch to profit: How India bowled over the world with an IPL revolution?
Zenil Koovejee, Editor in Chief • April 25, 2024

In the scorching Indian summer, amidst the cacophony of cheering crowds, vibrant team jerseys, and the crack of the bat, the Indian Premier League...

Sporting splurge: Why do AV athletes’ invest hundreds in sports equipment?

Rishit Agnihotri
Athletes needs all types of equipment, from shoes to their uniforms, that all help them perform in their sports.

Different sports require varying spending budgets for equipment. Typically, certain equipment is deemed essential, while others are considered advantageous.

“A lot of baseball players utilize items for arm care. We use things called J bands, which help us loosen up our arms. We also use weighted balls, which also aid in arm flexibility,” said AV Baseball player Alekh Shah (’24).

However, the essential gear for a baseball player, such as bats, gloves, and cleats, can total up to approximately $800. In contrast, sports like basketball rely on smaller items like headbands, arm sleeves, and accessories to enhance the athlete’s mindset.

“Often in basketball, you’ll notice players wearing various accessories. While these may not directly enhance athletic performance, feeling confident in your appearance can improve your gameplay,” said AV Basketball player Ori Khasin (’24).

Sports involving intense cardio, such as running, emphasize the importance of recovery in the daily workout regimen. For instance, a quality massage gun typically costs around $100.

“A highly beneficial piece of equipment that runners frequently use is the massage gun, particularly for post-practice recovery,” said AV Track runner Pritvij Rajesh (’24).

Footwear is indispensable for every sport. While prices may vary, sports shoes typically range between $50 and $100, making them relatively affordable for a year’s worth of sports activities.

“All you really need is a good pair of shoes and a basketball, if you don’t already have one. A top-quality basketball might set you back around $60, while a decent pair of shoes costs roughly double that amount. Basketball courts are readily available for anyone to play,” said Khasin.