Amador Valley High Schools hosts CTE fair to introduce students to job opportunities

Edwin He
At lunch, students flock to the CTE fair to learn about job opportunities from the three stands.

During lunch on Feb. 14th, Amador Valley High School hosted the CTE fair in front of the library to introduce students to summer and future job opportunities. 

Representatives from different prepared stands, brief students on what they do and answer questions.

“We’re here to just open up our horizons and let people know there’s a bunch of options for students fresh out of high school as well as kids who want to go to school and get college degrees,” said California Water Service Human Resource Admin Surena Nagra

The booths covered three work avenues: becoming a nutritionist, working in the water industry, and serving as a lifeguard.

“There was one with a nutritionist. She had clients that she helped with dieting and I thought that was pretty interesting,” said Matthew Lee (‘27)

Each booth was themed for their specific job. They featured flyers and QR codes so students can receive more information regarding opportunities they might be interested in. From these resources, students develop a more comprehensive understanding of what they could be for a future career. 

“For the [California Water Service Group], I learned how engineers can be involved and work [in that industry]. Since I want to be an engineer, I’ll keep that in mind,” said Nick Tran (‘26).  

Not all job opportunities are for students who graduated high school. The Lifeguard Services are here at the fair to introduce students to summer opportunities.

“I’m here to advertise our job openings in the summer for seasonal lifeguards. Kids just have to be 16 years old by April 20th to work for us. There’s some prerequisite swim and physical components to our job but the first step is to apply online,” Lifeguard Services Assistant Nellie Cazares. 

The CTE fair is a great opportunity for organizations to recruit and students to hopefully find what they want to pursue during their high school career and afterwards.

“The students have been very enthusiastic when coming up and talking and genuinely want to learn what it takes to be a lifeguard for our agency. They’ve been asking really good questions,” said Cazares.

• Students gather around the stand to listen to Lifeguard Services Assistant Nellie Cazares discuss summer job opportunities.

• At the Eat Real Food Nutrition stand, students learn the details of being a nutritionist from expert Molly Obert.

• Nick Tran (’26) and Luke Carter (’26) scan the QR code at the California Water Service Group stand.

• The Lifeguard Service stand features lifeguard attire, special merchandise, and flyers for more information.