AV Choir sings Valentine’s Grams

Ojal Pujji
Amador Valley’s choir class went around campus singing Valentine’s grams for both students and staff on Valentine’s Day.

At Amador Valley High School, Valentine’s Day is more than just chocolates and roses. It’s a time for the choir to spread joy and connection through a unique tradition called “Valentine Grams.” This program allows students to send personalized singing telegrams to their classmates, friends, and loved ones, creating a special atmosphere of music and community.

The preparation for Valentine’s Grams began weeks in advance. Choir director Shelly Durbin selected a variety of songs, catering to different musical tastes. The students then formed small groups, each with a mix of vocal ranges, including tenors, altos, and sopranos. They spent countless hours in class and outside rehearsals, learning harmonies, memorizing lyrics, and developing mini-choreographies to enhance their performances.

“It’s a very all-encompassing skill set that goes together to create this project. Students learn to make decisions, manage their time, and work effectively as a team. They also gain valuable performance experience, boosting their confidence and stage presence.” said Shelly Durbin, AV Choir teacher.

The unexpected serenades bring smiles and laughter to their recipients, creating memorable moments and strengthening bonds within the school community. The Valentine’s Grams go beyond simply delivering sweet messages. It also provides a platform for choir students to express themselves creatively and collaboratively.

“The cool thing about the singing grams is that there’re many opportunities for leadership and developing organization skills because we have to make decisions like what our group theme will be, how we are going dress up, what songs to choose, and what we’ll say. So it’s a very all-incoming skill set that goes together to create this project,” said Aishwarya Anburaja (‘24).

This structure fosters leadership skills and encourages students to take ownership of their projects. The most rewarding aspect for many students, however, is the element of surprise.

“It’s really fun because [the students] are usually surprised and caught off-guard. It’s funny to see that, but at the same time people enjoy the harmonies and they appreciate the music behind it, which makes us happy, too, because we worked really hard for it, said River Williams (‘26).

Ultimately, Valentine Grams is more than just a singing telegram. It expresses a celebration of love, friendship, and community. It’s a chance for students to connect with each other, share their talents, and create lasting memories.

“It’s really rewarding. It kind of feels like we can finally show people what we really like to do, and it’s really nice,” said Anburaja(‘24).