Amador Valley Boys Basketball $500 half-time shooting competition brings spirit to games

Zaynah Shah
Christopher Hoang (’26) holds his $500 envelope with rebounding partner Rayyan Shah (’26) after winning the half-time competition.

Amador Valley Boys Basketball holds a $500 Gold Rush shooting competition at every varsity home game. This competition hopes to bring hometown spirit to basketball games and provides an opportunity for students to cheer for their peers.

“I am really happy that the challenge brings fans to our games and helps increase support for the team,“ said Varsity Boys Basketball team captain Ori Khasin (‘24)

All attendees at the game receive a free raffle ticket when they walk in the doors. Two tickets are drawn at half-time and the two participants each get to choose a partner to help rebound their shots.

“I am really impressed with my shots and the fact that I hit a half court shot on the first try. I’m going to go get some dinner with my prize and split the money with my friends,“ said $500 winner Christopher Hoang (‘26).

The two teams compete against each other where the raffle winners must shoot a layup, a free throw, a three-pointer and a half court shot in under a minute. The first team to make all four shots wins a check for $500.

“I knew Chris was going to win. I am the greatest rebounder that Chris has. The challenge was fun and I think it gets students excited, and really makes them want to come to the games,“ said Rayyan Shah (‘26), rebounder for Hoang.

Come support Boys Basketball at their final league home game against Monte Vista this Saturday.