Shah Rukh Khan’s second blockbuster of 2023: Jawan releases in IMAX theaters

Ryan Dawson
Jawan is one of the most anticipated Indian movies released in IMAX theaters worldwide.

Jawan, which means “soldier” in English, was released in IMAX theaters worldwide on September 7, 2023. The cast of Jawan includes Shah Rukh Khan (SRK) as Vikram Rathore and Azad for a dual role sequence, Nayanthara as Narmada, Vijay Sethupathi as Kalee Gaikwad and Deepika Padukone as Aishwarya Rathore. The songs & music were composed, arranged & programmed by Anirudh Ravichander through the music label T-Series Music. Produced by Shah Rukh Khan’s wife, Gauri Khan, under the banner of Red Chillies Entertainment and it’s directed by Atlee Kumar.

About the Story

The story starts with the scene in 1986, where Vikram Rathore, a former commando of the Indian Army, accused Kalee Gaikwad after the Army’s team in an operation to hunt down a terrorist group that killed 40 innocent Indian soldiers. Kalee’s henchmen tried to kill Vikram and charge his wife Aishwarya, who was arrested for killing police officers that were paid by Kalee after troubling her. 

On Vikram’s side, he was kidnapped by Kalee and his henchmen sent to a plane; kicked Vikram out of the air. Labeled as a “national traitor,” Vikram was found injured in a river by villagers near the border of Northeast India and confined. 

Few months later, an attack happened in the village. Vikram woke up after a memory loss and noticed the circumstances. He decided to save the villagers and therefore got declared as a messiah. On Aishwarya’s side, she was sent to a women’s prison for a death sentence, however, she got pregnant and gave birth to a baby son named Azad. This extended her life till her son’s 5th birthday by law. 

In 1991, it was Azad’s 5th birthday and Aishwarya was sentenced to death the same day. Azad was adopted, educated, and grew up with the prison warden who sentenced his mother to death. He returned to this jail where Aishwarya once last lived and became the new prison warden. Azad teamed up in 2022 with six female prisoners and became a chief with them to stop the economical and social issues that’s been going on in India.

Why see Jawan?

Overall, the storyline makes connections with flashbacks for each of the most important characters such as the female prisoners. Just one man in a large, highly densely populated country to stop social and economical issues. This movie as a whole has brought patriotism through its theme. In addition, it used lots of slo-mo and energetic choreographies including, Zinda Banda, Chaleya, Ramaiyya, Aararaari Raaro, Faratta, Jawan Title Track, and Krishna on the biggest screen. The cinematic sound effects surrounded the audience with thrills and excitement.

Jawan had become one of Shah Rukh Khan’s most anticipated films in 2023 in addition to all films released in the late 2010s that flopped at the box office. It is also his highest grossing film of all time that earned more than $130 million in the worldwide box office as of September 30, 2023 after his previous most expensive and highest grossing film Pathaan

It is confirmed by the exclusive streaming partner, Netflix, that Jawan will stream by early November 2023 as an extended version with additional 20-30 minutes of never seen before footage.