College representatives begin visiting Amador campus

Cora Kerton
Spokespeople from different universities are beginning to visit Amador’s campus to interact with their potential applicants

To kick off the season of college outreach events, representatives from universities all around the nation visited Amador’s multi-purpose room on Sept. 22nd. 

“One of the schools that visited is actually the number one school on my list right now. It’s really cool being able to meet one of the admissions officers, get to know who I’m going to be talking to, and being able to learn information coming straight from the school,” said Megan Jagoe (‘24).

Friday’s college fair brought in spokespeople to let students interact with their potential schools. The colleges that visited that day included the University of Illinois, University of Rochester, University of Indiana Bloomington, University of Southern California, Johnson and Wales University, and Baylor University.

“These events are about exposing kids to the opportunities after high school. There are so many different universities that have different visions and missions,” said Akhil Raman, an Amador vice principal.

Even with all the knowledge they hold, the representatives can’t do all the outreach work. The college fair aims to bring universities to students so that applicants can feel more comfortable asking questions. Furthermore, it’s also an opportunity to passively gain information or show interest in the schools.

During lunch, students visited the college fair in the MPR to learn more about the different universities out there. (Cora Kerton)

“If you’re attending a college fair in the future, come prepared with questions. Sure, you can look up info about the school, but representatives are going to be able to give you more in-depth information about certain things you want to know about campus that you can’t find online,” said Jagoe.

Faced with the paradox of choice, students looking to apply often find themselves panicked with the lack or even surfeit of information. However, speaking to a real person with real experience helps students narrow down their options and reduce stress.

“[Thinking about] life after high school, it’s tough to decide what you want to do and get all the information you need. These fairs are a great chance for kids to try to find and figure out what’s the most important aspect of life after high school [for them],” said Raman.