Movietime Frenzy: Oppenheimer blockbuster screens in IMAX 70mm worldwide

IMAX
Many were reselling their tickets for the IMAX 70mm Oppenheimer screening for upwards of $100 from the original $18.99 price tag.

Grossing almost $700 million in just three weeks, Oppenheimer has taken the world by storm for its story and rare IMAX 70mm film projection, enabling a whole new level of immersion using one of the highest image quality, sharpness, depth, and color available. 

“I went to both screenings, and the IMAX 70mm is just so much more engaging. It’s not overhyped. The screen is around twice as big, and with every vibration in the music, you can feel it in your seat. Whereas in normal theaters, you don’t get that experience. [70mm is] just more immersive,” said Brady Lucas (‘25).

With many traveling across state lines to experience this, the Bay Area is fortunate to have two IMAX theaters out of 30 worldwide to have the technology to project this unique format. 

“Although the cinematic experience is an added bonus, the excitement around the movie is built around the actual storyline. I would watch the movie regardless of the IMAX 70mm screening because I love learning about WW2 and other historical events,” said Shaurya Shrivastava (‘25).

What makes the 70mm Oppeneimer experience so special is that it is among the few films that both used IMAX film cameras entirely and is projected using proper film instead of a laser. Many theaters need specialized projectors and experts to operate the 11-mile, 600-pound film of the 3-hour movie.

“What made it stand out was how it was an intellectual film. Nowadays, people like to watch plots that are easy to understand and act as an escape from reality in their everyday lives. Oppenheimer doesn’t revolve around that and brings in complex ideas in the forms of guilt and oppression,” said Shaunak Pal (‘24).

• The only two Bay Area theaters with projectors capable of showing IMAX 70mm film are Regal Cinemas at Hacienda Crossings in Dublin and AMC Theatres at Metreon in San Francisco.

The director, Christopher Nolan, had purposefully made many unique choices so that he could deliver an experience and a level of immersion that viewers simply cannot have at home. One of his unique choices is minimizing Computer Generated Imagery (CGI), instead opting to recreate explosions.

“No matter which format it was released in, it would have been a hit either way, because Christopher Nolan is a really famous director and a great film of his,” said Lucas.

Nolan’s unique choices as a director to make his film as immersive and engaging of an experience as possible made this movie viral, and it was extended to screen through the end of August due to the unexpected demand.