AV Athletic Boosters host Light Up the Night 80’s prom at Pleasanton Senior Center

Olivia Vollgraf

The Light Up the Night 80s prom took place on the evening of Saturday, March 25.

Olivia Vollgraf, Staff Writer

The 80’s prom, an annual school sports fundraiser for Amador athletes, teachers, coaches, and parents, took place on Mar. 25 at the Pleasanton Senior Center. AV Athletic Boosters hosted the event to raise money for the athletes at Amador. The funds go to sports funding, team uniforms, coaches’ gear, Hudl accounts, team training fees, scholarships, and turf maintenance.

“Parents basically fully fund all the sports in Pleasanton. The school doesn’t really receive any funds from the district to pay for sports. So we must think outside the box and create fundraisers that make up for the shortfall that the teams have each year,” Jen Oxe, one of the event staff.

In addition, student-athletes from Amador attended the event and spoke to the guests. They talked about how their sport affected them, and how their experiences in Amador’s sports program helped them decide their next step in life.

“This event is important to me because without these people’s support, my high school memories and sports scholarship to play football would be gone. Without them, I would have never had the chance to learn and play football,” Brady Nassar (‘23), member of AV football team.

The fundraising event invited parents, students, coaches, and teachers to support Amador’s student-athlete. (Olivia Vollgraf)

The fundraiser invited Amador’s sports coaches, parents, and other AV staff members. Some teachers also attended the event, representing the Amador teams.

“I believe sports are important to the vitality of both the school and the student. The school benefits through the spirit and closeness sports can bring to the community. And students benefit by learning to be a part of something bigger than themselves. Brady Nassar’s speech at the ball reflected that, too. That sports meant a lot to him and that the discipline and camaraderie of being on a team changed his life’s path to the successful senior headed off to college next year,” Christy Duncan-Anderson, fundraiser supervisor.

The fundraiser was canceled during the three years of Covid. However, AV Athletic Boosters plans to restart the annual student-athletes fundraiser. 

“We had not done a fundraiser since before Covid in 2019. But now we thought it was time to bring back an in-person event and bring the AV sports parents community together. We definitely plan on having this be an annual event,” Oxe.