First Weekend on Main returns this Friday

Kevin Zhu

Police on motorcycles help with the process of removing cars and maintaining street closure.

Kevin Zhu, AVT Page Editor

The first of 2022’s Weekend on Main has arrived in Pleasanton as an opportunity to browse the sites, sales, and events of Main Street as the streets are opened up to pedestrians and closed to automobiles. 

While the pandemic took away much of city life, it also created some opportunities for it. Weekends on Main originally started in the pandemic as a way for indoor dining and other businesses to have some room for breathing, literally and figuratively, because of mask policies and low sales.

“It’s good for small places like us. We get the extra space, out on the street, it’s less crowded,” said Leonardo Martinez, owner of Wild One Grill.

Weekends on Main take place every first weekend of the month through the months of May to December. Monthly boosts in sales for retailers and dining establishments were welcome after the pandemic as well, and well received by the community, so the Pleasanton Downtown Association made it last, even after lockdown.

“Last year, they had us help out with the restaurants and such. They changed it this year, it’s the city that’s in charge now. We just move the vehicles out, put the signs in,” said police officer Scott Faures.

The months May through December are typically the holiday season, seeing a rise in holiday shopping. Monthly street closures for all sorts of holidays like Halloween, Christmas, New Year’s, Thanksgiving, and 4th of July gives both the community more space and time to enjoy their breaks downtown and more sales at the same time.

“It just kind of made sense to go ahead and take advantage [of street closures],” said PDA Board President Bryan Bowers in an interview with The Pleasanton Weekly.

Citizens themselves have extra time to take advantage of weekends, browsing, eating, and enjoying the downtown scenery and mood. Because of the street closure, pedestrians and businesses have more room to expand onto the street, turning downtown into a bigger farmer’s market for goods and services of sorts. 

“The street closure makes it kinda feel like it’s a parade, even though it’s not. My family loves walking in the middle of the street,” said Joseph Rogerson.

Students and children take the time as an opportunity to get some well-needed outdoor time. The festival-like atmosphere provides an environment to take some time off school or to have fun during the summer.

“It’s really great. Just had AP testing this week, but I get to vibe out with friends for this weekend. It’s good for business, too, I assume,” said Tyler Dishman (‘22).

However, Weekends on Main doesn’t necessarily help business owners stay afloat. It’s not nearly enough to offset inflation, decreased consumer spending, and rising costs for small, local businesses that don’t have spare money to fall back on.

“The city just comes and opens up the street, and that all they do to support people like us … the city needs to take responsibility,” said Martinez.

The expected cost of Weekend on Main is about $170,000 dollars, but there is a fund for local businesses to draw upon. To learn more and support Pleasanton economies, visit here.