The new nightmare at lunch: throwing food

Certain+sophomores+and+junior+students+spend+their+lunch+throwing+food+such+as+apples%2C+carrots%2C+and+other+items+from+the+cafeteria.+

Leila Touati

Certain sophomores and junior students spend their lunch throwing food such as apples, carrots, and other items from the cafeteria.

Leila Touati, AVT Editor-in-Chief

Sitting at a table and enjoying lunchtime, I see carrots hit someone’s back. Soon after, an apple is thrown onto a lunch table, and students dodge the onslaught of incoming food. This is a regular lunch break at Amador Valley, where throwing food has almost become the norm. 

“Approximately ten minutes ago I got hit by an apple. I am used to it and I think the best way to handle it is just making it aware that it’s an immature act and we are in high school and we shouldn’t be throwing food at lunch,” said Samantha Riter (‘23).

Where did this come from?

One reason why certain students launch food around the school is due to the lack of emotional maturity that the pandemic has taken from students. After a year of little social interaction during online school, it seems as though students have forgotten what it is like to attend high school and the expectations that come with it. 

“I think most of the time they’re just looking for a reaction, they think that it’s something that’s funny or that other people will get entertained by it but it’s more of an immature way of doing it,” said Joanna Zhu (‘22).

In fact, this problem is not new. This school year saw the rise in the destruction of school property – especially in the bathrooms. What we are seeing today is the same problem exhibited during lunch. 

With a school schedule that allows a 30-minute lunch break is the only time students have to themselves, they should have the opportunity to enjoy their lunch and relax, not be frightened of getting hit by food.

Not only is throwing food a sign of disrespect to the Amador campus but to fellow students as well. The lack of consideration as to where the food may end up (not in a trash can, that’s for certain) shows no regard for custodians that aim to keep our school clean. On top of that, food throwing can be dangerous in more ways than one.

“I have celiac disease: it’s an autoimmune disorder that makes me allergic to gluten. I’m very sensitive to it and it causes my body to attack itself and I would have been sick for at least a week. Food that I’m allergic to fell into my backpack which was really not ideal and that’s actually dangerous. People need to be more considerate of the people around them because it’s just not something you should do, it could hurt people,” said Morgan Notari (‘22).

What can we do?

This is not a problem that can go away in a day or two. There should be more rigor in solving this issue that affects every student at Amador. There is little lunch supervision for the full 30 minutes, causing students to act out with no consequences.

“We walk around but there’s only so many of us so maybe parents would want to volunteer because we can’t be everywhere all at once; the campus is so big,” said Vice Principal Melanie Harris.

As of right now, Amador’s administration has made no clear steps in requesting help from outside volunteers apart from discussion meetings. It is clear that the admin at Amador always has pressing matters to take care of every week, but the safety and comfort of students should be a priority.

It is disheartening to see the immaturity of high school students shine during the lunch period when someone could get seriously hurt. Respect for the Amador campus is lacking – which is ironic since students spend half of their day at school.

“If students see Amador as their home during the day, then they won’t throw food and the challenge is getting students to take pride in the AV campus and the AV community but also see it as where they’re living, learning, growing during the day,” said Vice Principal Brendan Nelson.