If I had control of the lunch menu, I would…

Evan Garber

School lunches have improved over the years, but there is still plenty of room for improvements.

Evan Garber, Staff Writer

Free lunch at AV has led to limited options for students, but there are still plenty of options. Some of the students’ favorites include pizza, chicken sandwiches, and chicken tikka masala.  Even with this spread of options, there are still changes that could be made to improve the menu.

Vegan Options

According to a poll taken by the National Federation of State High School Associations, nearly 150,000 U.S. high school students are vegan. 

The only vegan option currently offered at the AV cafeteria is the veggie burger, which is one of the least popular options. If a vegan student forgets to bring their lunch, they’re stuck with a veggie burger or whatever snacks they can get from other students. 

In addition, vegan options are as healthy as what is offered now. Some students do not eat the fruit or vegetables they grab, so to encourage students to eat healthier, vegan options are a good way to go. With a rise in plant-based food, students can enjoy a “burger” or “chicken” sandwich while lowering their risk of some health issues.

Week-to-Week Variety

Instead of highlighting the diversity at Amador in just one week, it can be highlighted daily through the lunch menu. There are nearly 200 countries in the world — all with their own unique foods. So many of these are represented in the Amador student body. Adding cultural foods will help students connect with one another in a special way and create a stronger community.

Furthermore,  students are drawn away from the cafeteria due to the lack of change in the menu. Adding new food every week encourages students to come back and continue to eat. Students are increasingly skipping meals so adding a variety will sway some to eat more throughout the day.

Improve Food Quality

The quality of cafeteria food at Amador is far better than you see in the movies. But this doesn’t mean it can’t be improved.

During the 2020-21 school year, the free lunch program started and was a great success. It was easily accessible to students as a quick grab and go. But what really made it great was the quality. Paper bags were prepared, each with a drink, snack, fruit, and vegetable. Slices of pizza were each in a separate box. Now, pizzas are stacked on top of each other, with grease dripping from piece to piece.