Some students are getting vaccinated, how?

Vaccination+Cards+are+given+once+you+get+your+shot.+

Albertine Combs

Vaccination Cards are given once you get your shot.

Albertine Combs, Junior Editor

With various COVID-19 vaccines becoming relatively more available, more people are getting vaccinated, even some students at Amador.

However, there are different qualifications that need to be met for students to get vaccinated. 

Prior to May, the first qualification was being at least 16 years or older for the Pfizer vaccine. Other vaccines like the double-dose Moderna and the single-dose Johnson & Johnson require recipients to be 18 years or older.

However, as of May 2021, the age requirements for the Pfizer vaccine have gone down to at least 12 years or older, though Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines still require 18 years or older.

Because of this fact, students have started to book their COVID-19 vaccines online.

“I found a website that tells you about available appointments. It’s www.vaccines.gov/search/.” said Victoria Castenada (‘23).

Vaccine administration is usually appointment only so make sure to check which locations are available.

“I just got offered it through Kaiser, but I had to go all the way to Antioch which sucked,” said Kate Weckwerth (21’).

Many Amador students are experiencing common side effects of the vaccine as well.

“For my first shot, my arm was sore. With my second shot my arm was sore and a headache that lasted around six hours,” said Castenada.

Some other Amador students are experiencing more severe side effects as well. 

“From the second dose, I had a fever, chills, and aches, which lasted a couple of days,” said Weckwerth.

These symptoms are normal and are non-fatal, and usually were off within a couple of days. To find a vaccine near you go to www.vaccines.gov/search/

Nurses work hard to distribute vaccinations to everyone who are willing. (Albertine Combs)